Holy $%^&! Baldur's Gate 3 news 2018 !

Storm of Zehir has been on my to-play list for literally the entire length of its existence - worth going back for? I wasn’t crazy about NWN2’s base campaign, which is why I never got around to it.

So what’s the best current option for deep, isometric RPG fun? Other than replaying BG2? Seems like there are several options.

Note that I am playing Divinity: Original Sin with my wife co-op. It’s OK, but I don’t really love the writing, setting, or humor. Mostly I just play it for the turn-based combat.

If you aren’t opposed to RTwP the new D&D is Pathfinder, but it’s got some bugs and script issues. However, the developer seems incredibly dedicated to making it as polished and smooth as possible, with nearly daily hot fixes since launch and a major update planned for the end of the month. If you don’t want to wait, I highly recommend Pillars of Eternity 2. You can also enjoy PoE1 but the quality of life features and visual updates to the second one (and the fact it’s a brand new story that starts you off at level 1) make the sequel an easy pitch to someone looking for an RPG like Baldur’s Gate.

It’s tough to say, I haven’t played it in awhile so I don’t know if it aged okay or not. It’s probably fine, but if you want a party based D&D 3.5E experience, I’d just get Pathfinder at this point. However, don’t let NWN2’s campaign stop you from SoZ as it’s an entirely new campaign, stand alone and everything, and you start by building a party of characters and take them from level 1 to like…20, I’m pretty sure. It’s really cool, but it’s super hard and I don’t think I was ever able to beat the final boss.

Yeah, the Pathfinder thread (and your testimonials) have firmly sold me on that one. I have no time to really play it properly right now, but the next time I get a decent break…

That should work out pretty well then, certainly every day that passes it’s in much better shape than the day before (well, generally).

The problem with a new licensed BG would be that it would be 5th ed rules, and almost certainly include the 200+ (?) year time skip from 4th ed that pissed off most of the players and the Forgotten Realms authors. Almost everyone of importance would be dead, the world completely changed (except the city of Baldur’s Gate which was apparently less changed than other locales). I known they’ve reincarnated some of the more popular characters (literally in the case of Drizz’t’s adventuring party), but you’re still looking at a world that is mostly unrecognizable for anyone who has not played the pencil and paper version in the last decode.

Unless they’ve rolled back more of the 4th ed changes (I have not bothered paying attention), it’s going to be a completely new setting in every way but name only. Of course, that might be a positive if you want to pull in new players.

Here here. I have preferences but all I really care about is more D&D rpgs. I realize at this point I am a hostage of my youth, but whatever.

My dream game would be 4e turn based but I will take what I can get.

I know very little about 5e, but it seems like a major step back for a crpg? 4e was seemingly designed with them in mind whereas 5e gets back to the role playing roots rather than us rule munchkins? That’s a question, not a statement.

Watching streams of people playing it, such as Critical Role, it’s basically a smarter, slicker, and more detailed 3rd edition (or 3.5, if you prefer) but without the massive number scaling (and some other excellent differences all over, like more versatile spells and ways to build a character).

Personally, I have come to pretty much loathe RTWP (though I might try Pathfinder eventually). After things like DD2, I really want my isometric (that is, non-FPS type) RPGs turn-based only.

I vastly prefer turn based for D&D, as seen in TOEE, but I will take what I can get and like it.

Will have to check it out. Sounds like I would still prefer 4e but I would be pretty excited by 5e as well.

I don’t loathe it, but I certainly prefer turn based - especially for systems (like D&D or Pathfinder) that were designed for it.

Yeah, I get that, but to me, most real-time RPGs end up as blobs fighting blobs.

I would weep tears of joy for a turn-based 5e D&D game with the depth of BG, BG2 or ToEE. Weep.

Wasnt the storm coast legends a 5th edition PC game?

I got it on steam, but I really didn’t dive in yet.

Also, for NWN 2, what mods do you suggest? NWN had PRC, which was awesome in its own unbalanced way, but I found fewer mods for NWN 2 that added cool classes and prestige classes.

I would pay large sums of money as well.

Sort of, but it’s live DM/Multiplayer focus lead to them changing skills and spells to all run on cooldowns and made progression skill tree based, both in a pretty non-DnD way. It worked fine for that game, and I enjoyed the single player campaign, but it wasn’t either the second coming of BG or NWN so many were disappointed. The engine looked and ran really well, and I thought the character creator was really good so it’s a shame the studio went under.

My HUGE question is this: Do I still have my old save game? I am scrambling now.

Guys.

And of course the most depressing bit -

How far back do you want to go? Fallout 2 is fantastic and must play for any true rpg fan. If you want something newer my personal recommendations would be UnderRail (sci-fi/post-apoc underground, heavy focus on turn based combat and exploration, one character) and Age of Decadence (, Roman post-apocalyptic setting, arguably the best choice&consequence rpg you can get, single character). Also very good are Pillars of Eternity (rtwp, party, fantasy), Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn based, full party), Shadowrun: Dragonfall and Shadowrun: Hong Kong (turn based, good roleplaying - plenty of stat checks, cyberpunk, small squad). And I’m probably forgetting a few other notable titles that came out in the last few years.

I mean, hopefully it’s a D&D CRPG that isn’t some mobile game or an MMO. That would be the first of those we’ve had in… forever.

Depends who has the license. As far as story, there are still stories to be told in the Forgotten Realms and they can easily link back to the original games without being a direct successor.