Holy crap, they're adapting The City And The City

Hey you didn’t tell me it was on TV! And it’s got Scully!

I hear ya, sister.

I mean, Mieville is a pretty hardline leftist, and not shy about politicizing his fiction, so it’s not that surprising.

Wait wha?

Well, there’s a whole palette of possible antagonists to choose from. Why always with the very same capitalists?

Because they’re the root of societies ills in his view?

It’s more accurate to say both Counterpart and The City and the City are heavily influenced by Cold War-era Berlin in terms of their tone and setting - a single place split between two mutually suspicious governments, with characters trying to navigate the complexities this causes.

I didn’t know that’s what Counterpoint was about, it sounds kind of awesome.

So does The City and The CIty, for that matter.

It is very awesome. Albeit slightly underwhelming at the tail end. Hopefully it’ll pick back up next season.

Eh. I thought The City and The City was just fine, and definitely not his best work. You guys keep going on about how the twist was the two cities aren’t in parallel dimensions, but in the same place but I remember that being apparent from the get go. And then the book was just endless iterations on how it all worked, bit by bit. Got kind of annoying by the end .

I think I liked Kraken the most, but I’m not sure that means I think it’s his best. It just seemed that he went back to the urban fantasy well of his absolute worst novel (King Rat, his first, so somewhat understandable) and made something good. Then again, I’ve always been partial to that genre.

I’ll probably watch this when it shows up on Netflix or Amazon or something, though.

Haha, I forgot is posted on this thread before, and here I am replying to myself.

So, I just noticed this is on Amazon Prime streaming. I’m in the middle of the second episode, and it’s doing pretty great- the comments upthread about managing to visually separate the two cities is spot on. I didn’t think it could be done, but their solution works very well.

What book is that? I’ve never heard of it. /s