Holy SHIT! There's a Warlords IV demo

Found this link at Blue’s. I am sure this will be yanked within hours, but someone needs to snag it. Alas, I am at work and cannot.

How does this happen? Is some German magazine granted access to the demo to go with an upcoming issue and then it gets leaked so UBI decides to post it?

Those Germans and Russians get all kinds of cool stuff first. I wish I was German or Russian or Canadian.

EDIT: I’m an idiot. Since it is the official site I guess it will not be removed. You would still think that they would at least release the English version simultaneously. Is the developer German?

EDIT: Turns out it was a German link, but the demo is English. Silly Tyjenks.

:cry:

No the developer is Australian (SSG). Which is kinda like being German, only with deserts, koalas, kangaroos, vegemite, and a whole continent full of aborigines and poisonous snakes instead of gnomes and forests and castles and stuff. They both drink bear though.

EDIT: Ok, they drink BEER, not BEAR, though some of the beer from both countries does indeed taste like Bear Piss.

Drink bear huh? Mr Frazier or Mr Tudor, wish to elaborate?

Well, that’s what I thought. As with most things, I am puzzled as to why the German demo went up first. Unless the English version goes up later today. At which time, this thread will be useless…

Actually it’s just a link from the German division of Ubisoft. If you download the actual file it says “Warlords_IV_Demo_Europe.exe” which might imply that it’s multi-language. Anyway, I’m downloading right now (142 MB) so you’ll soon know. Thanks for the link! :)

Sheesh, everyone knows that Australians are vampires who feed on the eucalyptus-scented blood of adorable koalas.

Downloading too - I love Warlords!!

Sheesh, everyone knows that Australians are vampires who feed on the eucalyptus-scented blood of adorable koalas.[/quote]

Who doesn’t?

All of you who voted that I did not contribute here now have to go back to Dirt’s poll and demand a recount.

I am most excited about the new combat system that SSG has created. They agreed they wanted more player input in battles, but did not want to copy HoMM or Discples. They describe what they came up with as something like a CCG.

IIRC, each side chooses from their stacks one monster to battle it out one on one. Then this repeats and you cycle through all of your stack. Once one side loses all of it’s creatures it is over. Meanwhile, you can cast spells at different times during the battle depending on what creatures and heroes are in that stack. This may all be wrong, but that is as near as I remember and could discern from the previews.

Whoopeee! Is it 5:00p yet?

Yay!

Intrepid early-downloaders – please post here if there is in fact an english install there.

Btw, it’s not SSG anymore, Steve Fawkner (the original warlords guy) split from SSG with the warlords franchise, they are now called:
http://www.infinite-interactive.com/

there is indeed english language in the demo so dload away.

Dammit! I knew that. :evil:

SSG, I think, is still soldiering on and planning to continue with wargames. Some crappy game called Kurdish Rocket or something and more to come.

Thanks for the name there of the spin-off; I had known they had split but didn’t know the name. Warlords IV was in development when they were still SSG though so it’s not too far off to call it an SSG game in spirit at least :P

Yup, it’s in English, and it’s pretty cool. The graphics appear to be lifted from WBC2, which isn’t bad, but it’s definately turn based. There’s one skirmish map to play, and you can play either as the humans or dark elves.

Combat is a little more involved this time around, but doesn’t stray TOO far from the original formula. Essentually two units, one from each side, goes at it until one dies and the next unit is put into combat. While it’s not the autocombat of the original games, it’s still simple enough to not get in the way. Overall, I really like what I see here.

So what’s different about the combat? Before it was just stack against stack and all the player did was watch. How is the new combat system different?

I saw this this morning. Go gametab, that site rocks.

I didnt DL it though, because I didnt know if it was in English. I will grab it now though.

olaf

It’s essentially the same, but you choose which unit fights when (pokemon like). I’ve always liked the simple combat in warlords, it’s one of the things that kept multiplayer in warlords 3 fast and fun.

I am just playing it on my work comp, but the demo seems sluggish as hell. Is it me? Like the mouse cursor is very laggy, and the screen doesnt scroll very fast even on very fast setting. Its a P4 2gig with 512mb RAM, a Ti500 and XP Pro.

Also, is there a way to zoom in/out?

olaf

Sheesh, everyone knows that Australians are vampires who feed on the eucalyptus-scented blood of adorable koalas.[/quote]

Naaah, that’s not true. Eat bear mate, eat bear. Gotta hang the body of the koala for a few days to drain the blood- like any good game dish. Tastes a bit chewier than platypus but not as bland as dolphin.

Naaah, that’s not true. Eat bear mate, eat bear. Gotta hang the body of the koala for a few days to drain the blood- like any good game dish. Tastes a bit chewier than platypus but not as bland as dolphin.[/quote]

For sure, you haven’t lived unless you’ve been on a “All Aussie Dinkum Drop Bear Hunting Safari”.