Home for the Holidays (1995)

Directed by: Jodie Foster

Along with Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, my wife and I make sure to catch this every Thanksgiving season. It’s not quite a comedy, not quite a drama. It’s that mix in-between that’s basically a portrayal of every functioning dysfunctional family.

This year’s viewing is gonna be a tough one. While we don’t usually make the 5+ hour trek to spend Thanksgiving with the family, at least the option is always there just in case we feel the need to drive ourselves crazy. It feels much different to have our separation forced on us.

Anyway, here’s a few clips. Check it out if you’ve not seen it. Great cast.

https://youtu.be/iYszhfdnMZo

This one has been a favorite of mine since my first round of college which was not actually that long after the release. There is something just charming about the imperfection of everyone in this family.

My wife and I actually passed on our viewing at the last minute. She was feeling a little down and didn’t think the drama would sit well with her this year.

It’s more of a dramedy. There is plenty of time left for the holidays, so maybe when you get another chance maybe give it a try. It’s hard at some points, but otherwise the deepness is just kind of acknowledging the dysfunction of so many families, including the viewers.