Home Media Room Design Advice

Asking for assistance on what I should do to this room to make it a kicking media room

Prior owner didn’t use the media room for fullest potential…it’s actually a loft above a two car garage about 35 feet x 25 feet. Rectangular .

Lots of light so I will purchase black out blinds and curtains

Pics:

Double door entry opposite wall than the gas fireplace

Thinking about putting an OLED 80 inch HD TV on the wall with the subwoofer on the floor (and all the cables sticking out of the drywall) in between those two small window nooks and white AV stands.

That would mean the chairs / theater seating would be to the left of the fireplace when walking into the room

It’s already wired for sound thankfully but the wiring dictates the TV and viewing set up pretty much

I had a projector in my old media room, not a fan of projectors . So going to get an actual TV this time

Those are my initial thoughts… anyone else have any ideas thought criticisms suggestions?

Let me know on what you would do with this space to turn it into an amazing media room

The space is fantastic. I dig the ceiling, floors and what natural light you get there. The built in shelves are fantastic too. Frankly, I’m jealous.

The room above your garage is nicer that most peoples entire homes. :D

Advice Part…random thoughts and some questions:

1.) Track lighting. I’d establish that first. Maybe some little lights by the built-ins, meant to provide low level illumination of the shelves and low level ambient lighting when darkened in the room.
2) What is the power outlet situation/cable/wired internet/wifi like?

3.) Just media or gaming?

Ohhh… track lighting. Didn’t even consider that. I will research some ideas. Thanks

The fuse box is under utilized, lots of amps. Lots of power outlets in the baseboards. The speakers are wired behind the drywall … I think I could do a 9.1 speak setup, if not 7.1. Haven’t counted yet.

Media and gaming. Both for this room.

I have another media room in the basement which is more conventional and is more gaming than media.

Electronic gaming? No Boardgaming? If your basement is more “cave-like” this would be a great room for Boardgaming.

yes electronic gaming - xbox, switch and ps4

board gaming also in the basement… we have a large square table for board gaming.

Big open space = VR space :)

99% of a media room is amazing speakers (suitable to space size) and an amazing screen. I’d wall mount the speakers (excepting the sub of course) to keep things open.

👍😘

Pfffft, he is thinking too small, and not future proofing!

Okay, I swear to god I’ve been IN that room, or at least one very similar to it in design. It was a coworkers house in NC if you’re here.

Either way, he made it a gaming room with black out curtains on the wall where the fireplace is and had a large TV mounted there with the console, receiver, and other media gear in a small enclosure just to the left of the fireplace. He also had a large U shaped sectional in front of it with the long couch being the back facing the TV, while one side had an ottoman as it’s end and the other side a chaise lounge. I loved the couch so much I bought one nearly the same.

He had a few extra chairs in the room but they were used infrequently. He also drug his gaming rig with desk and whatnot to the back of the room (near the door,) mostly so he could game but also watch his kids play console games or watch movies.

I’m still a little freaked out looking at that room. About the only differences I see are that he didn’t have those built in cabinets that you do in your dormer window spaces.

I am interested in black out solutions. We have a family room with one giant window and then the normal tall vertical windows spaced around it and the other wall.

When we first moved in everything was a whirlwind and I just had them install blackout blinds underneath our regular way over priced blinds. Well they are shit black out blinds, not even close to the level of darkness I want.

So I want to replace them for at least that room but I haven’t done much research. Total blackness would be idea but we still want to be able to open them during the day for the light & view.

the room is in Toronto of the Canuckastan

South Canuckastan.

These people live in North Canuckastan.
Hoser

That rooms is going to bounce sound waves around like crazy. With so many angles, and reflective surfaces, I’d recommend getting a rug and put some sound dampening material on the walls to absorb some of that.

But, start out the way it is, and then you can see how bad it is & how it improves with modifications, then that will lead you to go more in one direction than the other.

thanks Tman for the advice. A rug is already in the works

other than movie posters – what do you suggest to put on the walls? Curtains on the windows may help (with the black out blinds)

For me here, blinds, then curtains. Not all black out curtain material is the same. I have one that is extremely heavy that also has a different white material (also heavy) as the backing and it’s the best window I have in the house for it. It feels like velvet/velour on one side and heavy backing material that’s rough as well. They were marked as black out ‘insulating’ curtains. The others I have in the house though marked as black out by design do let light through where it edges around the blinds. It’s dim, but still there.

Total blackness is hard to achieve IMHO. Unless you live where you can put a physical barrier IN the window, right behind it. I’ve seen people put rigid insulation sheets, mylar sheets, etc. My HOA would ping me for crap like that, unfortunately.