Home Run Derby

Wow, is this thing cool. Bobby Abrieu (yeah philly!) just destroyed the previous record for home runs in one round with 24 (previous record was 15!).

I don’t even like baseball, and this is awesome. You guys should watch it.

Base…ball?

edit - David Ortiz is next closest with 17.

My money was on Big Papi Ortiz. He hits majestic home runs at Fenway.

But Abreu, yikes. He’s an amazing player, but he was just making it look too easy in the first round. STEROIDS!

To have a home run derby and not have all the top home run hitters there because they don’t represent a different country is asinine. I’m sure that the Dutch were so very excited to have a representative.

The All-Star game has lost a lot of its appeal for me over the years, but the all star break is a great time to look back on my improbably Nationals. All those one-run games are a bad omen, but the whole town is enjoying the ride.

Troy

I agree it was dumb, but Andruw Jones also has 27 homers at the break so he would have been in the contest anyway.

The only players who wouldn’t have been in the contest would have been Bay, Choi, and Pudge, and the latter made it to the finals. Of the guys that made the roster, the MIAs are Lee (who has a bad shoulder; doubt he woulda done it regardless), Manny Ramirez (who never does it), Vlad, Pujols, A-Rod… probably a couple others.

Overall, it wasn’t a bad group.

Oh lord, can these player introductions be any cheesier?

A-Rod wouldn’t have done it (he’s passed before). Vlad, maybe (though maybe not since he’s also had a shoulder injury).

Steve left out Tejada, who won last year and took a back seat to Ortiz this year (and obviously didn’t mind).

I wish there was a way to provide some benefit to 1st/2nd round totals. The guys going last have an advantage (if they make the cut they can stop or just take easy swings), where Abreu had to keep going (and basically lapping the field). He was somewhat gassed and almost missed the finals with 6 in the 2nd round.

I can’t believe I’m worrying about this. Thursday can’t come fast enough for my XM radio.

I think it was last year, or maybe two years ago, when ARod did participate and he had the only “honest” moment I’ve seen of him as a player (he’s sort of the pre-instane Tom Cruise of baseball; never seems real).

Anyway, he hit one badly and the mic picked him up saying, “Shit, I suck.” That was great.

Steve left out Tejada, who won last year and took a back seat to Ortiz this year (and obviously didn’t mind).

And as evidenced by that shot he hit tonight, Tejada shoulda been there. Man, I love watching that guy play.

He was somewhat gassed and almost missed the finals with 6 in the 2nd round.

Since he went first, he had nearly an hour to kick back.

I can’t believe I’m worrying about this. Thursday can’t come fast enough for my XM radio.

Hear hear.

Yeah, and he had to be pressured into it then, at that. I agree 100% on how he always seems to be putting up a front.

I’d feel worse about Tejada if a) Ortize hadn’t put up 17 in the first round and b) he was obviously loving every minute of it anyway. But again, the defending champ should have been in there. Hell, make it a 9 man thing with the 8 plus the King of the Hill.

Abreu going first can actually be a hinderance. That’s a full hour to cool down and get tight, meaning you have to loosen up again. Everyone talking about HRD would point out how it’s so out of the norm to take BP, be trying for home runs on every swing (unlike normal BP), then stop and start again an hour later. It’s all very out of normal routine for these guys, which is why many don’t want to do it and why the 2nd round often has the big dropoffs.

Man. What does it take to beat the American League? There was NL dominance in the 1970s, but this is getting humiliating, especially since - as we were told 700 times last night - “now it counts”.

Tejada is amazing. He really brings a lot to the plate and plays all out every time. And the Baltimore fans love him.

Troy

Some very annoying things about the all-star game broadcast (way too much crap on Rogers, too much pre-game harping about no Jeter or Sosa, dumb MPV choices, etc.), but the sheer power of the AL’s lineup was amazing.

— Alan