Home wifi camera or otherwise security options

Not a bad idea, seems like I missed that by a few. My sis was the one pushing for the Nest devices, she has one in her home. I have yet to see the Echo Show devices, so I don’t know which features would cross over well with what we were searching for.

With what we have, if my mom presses her life alert we get a text but don’t know much else. If she yells out, depending on who might be watching we could see it and hear it. Or if not, we can track her movement history on the cameras to see if we missed anything.

The same is true for when she isn’t in the home either. The Nest Cam color codes the video timeline history so you see dots for when there was movement or audio or both. Seriously it’s like having a Big Brother show with my Mom as the only person in the house.

Looks like I just missed the latest Nest Camera as well. Oh well.

Arise! Google discontinued their Nest Secure platform - with promises to keep it in maintenance mode for now. As such, Home Depot is dropping the product and has the starter kit on deep discount now. 89 bucks for the hub, 2 sensors, and 2 arm/disarm tags. For that price I’m willing to toy with a platform on life support. The fact that they’re restocking everything except the base stations gives me hope it’ll be around for a while, possibly with a new hub that can use the existing peripherals down the road. If not, meh, 90 bucks gets you a basic system with a built in Google Assistant.

One of the big plus sides is that it can report to your mobile device outside of the home when there’s an alert with no subscription. SimpliSafe (another platform I checked out) can only provide in-home alerts unless you pony up for their monthly service.

So my Wyze cam that shows the front porch and usual package delivery area is from 2018 and slowly dying, it needs power cycles weekly. Got just under 4 years out of it for $20. So not bad.

What is the new go to for a decent outdoor camera? I see tons of options now, many are wireless too!

Anyone use these Blink cameras from Amazon?

A pack like that would give me multiple angles to record, which is pretty neat. :)

May just end up getting a v3 Wyze, they are only $35.

I hate relying on anything outside my network for things to work so I am running HomeKit with two of these:

Anybody have suggestions for wireless systems that can accommodate business needs, say 8-12 cameras?

BREAKING: Protest signs and protestors’ faces are automatically reported to PRC police thanks to an AI system touted by Dahua, a huge Chinese video surveillance manufacturer. Dahua calls this solution a “banner_alarm” (https://ipvm.com/reports/dahua-protestor-alarms?code=lfgsdfasd) via @ipvideo