Homeland

Oops! Not sure why I got mixed up, maybe because it seemed more realistic to me to train for 16 weeks for such a mission. :)

I learned an important fact from this week’s episode: Iranians do not emit heat.

The show needs more touches like Saul’s Black Jack obsession. Though given the way the show has been going, the secretary’s pack will probably turn out to be filled with Iranian nanites or something.

I wish they’d give F. Murray Abraham something to do. It’s like they leased a Rolls and are just letting it sit undriven in the garage.

I’m thinking the rationale is that they’re undead of some kind.

That’s actually the first 24-ish thing I’ve noticed about this season, though I agree that there are scenes in episodes 1-3 that do not make sense in light of the flip. Things we saw in private that she would not have plausibly done, but which we saw because they wanted to keep the audience in the dark.

I’m still enjoying it, despite the fact it’s not really Homeland anymore. If you take it on its own rather than comparing it to prior seasons, it’s still excellent as TV depictions of intelligence operations go.

You could ascribe it to her being a method actor, and one under tremendous real stress in any case. But, yeah, you have to work pretty hard to interpret it that way ;)

The whole getting Carrie committed to lure the Iranians thing was lifted from The Spy Who Came in from the Cold. At least they stole from the best.

Interesting music choice in the next episode preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4B3SKcEHGI

No comments on the penultimate episode of this season? I thought it was really good. I know it’s melodramatic and “24-hours” unbelievable but I really dig the relationship between Carrie and Brody. Suck it all you love haters!

Nothing in the last half of the season has bothered me as much as the first half, but it’s also not won me back, nor do I suspect it ever will. I watch it because my friends do, but I’m pretty ambivalent toward it now.

I liked it. The main problem (now that Dana is bye bye) is how Claire manages to stay around.

Senator Jerkface hates her now (with probable good reason.)
Claire is the lead of the show and probably less dispensable than Saul.
Therefore, they need to kill off Senator Jerkface.

The first couple of the episodes were cheap. Claire Danes needed to have visual clues (like her face relaxing as soon as she was not monitored,or something like that) so the audience does not feel used.

The main problem is that they kept Brody around. That’s what damaged how they wrote Claire. Claire and Brody certainly have chemistry, but it wasn’t the only thing that made the show great in the beginning. But they pushed that and twisted the show inside out to keep it about their relationship, and it hurt Claire’s character, so yes, we’re certainly at the point where finding a reason Claire should still have a job is a problem, but it goes back to Brody.

I think you are right. There is a reason he is the Most Wanted Man in the World. :p

I guess I had never saw Damian Lewis in an interview… his natural persona is so damn chipper and British you can’t help but laugh at the stark contrast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btYvCTVuUZE

That was a bit surreal. It’s exactly as he said - I knew him from Band of Brothers, and from Life, and from Homeland, and I know his voice so well from those that his natural English accent sounds like it’s a put-on. Particularly since he casually drops into an American accent a couple of times in the interview for effect.

His personality, on the other hand, isn’t a surprise. It’s only a contrast to Homeland. It’s difficult to project the sort of persona he projected in Life without being bright and a bit whimsical yourself.

So Season 3, Episode 012…

If they were going to go there – why the detour through this season at all?

I don’t think the writers on this show have a clue where they are going, or how to get there - or about easily foreseeable consequences.

One thing I’m sure about: Danes and Patinkin might have been able to hold it together as a CIA Procedural. But Danes alone? No.

Yeah, I’ve spent so long wishing they’d written Brody off the show I thought it would do more to get me interested in the show when they finally did, but I just don’t care enough now for it to matter at all.

I don’t get the “Brody has to go” group. I agree that his story petered out to some degree, but I think that was more a problem with the writing than it was with any necessity that his story had to come to an end.

If you ever want to see him in a really dark role where you hate his guts, watch him as Soames in the most recent version of The Forsyte Saga. Man can he play an a-hole.

It’s because of his creepy, unnaturally small mouth. It converts to a smug look so easily and quickly.

Wait, people think there will be a season 4? That seemed like an awfully clear series ender.

For sure a season 4. Here is the link with the show runner. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/homeland-showrunner-alex-gansa-brody-666028

Warning. Complete spoilers for the end of season 3.