Homeland

I started being disappointed in the season when Sal followed that guy into the bathroom, alone.

I did like that the ambassador understood the situation and tried playing her husband into confessing - I was afraid they were going to do the bullshit wife-in-denial thing.

Is there a terrorist on the planet she won’t fuck?

Every guy in the offices where she works walk around with fake bomb vests on.

“Oh, this thing? I’m…ummm…a terrorist!”

You’re right, of course. KAOS would NEVER have been allowed to overrun Control HQ like that. If only the embassy used phone booths instead of a tunnel. I love that Saul would rather blow his brains out than leave himself in Carries hands when it comes to his safety. Of course he relents, and of course she manages to fuck up.

Oh, that Carrie. What wacky misadventure will she get herself into next week?

I guess I took those scenes essentially the opposite. I thought Saul would rather kill himself than become another pawn in a terrorist plot…I think he even says as much to Carrie. Nor did I think Carried fucked up…I thought she intentionally betrayed him in order to keep him alive…that she decided that the best chance he had of staying alive was to get re-captured in that situation. I really felt it was surprising and kind of heartbreaking when Saul calls her out.

I watched Season 1/2 a while back, liked them both. We don’t have Showtime so I got behind on the series…got caught up over the past two weeks. I liked S3 (though S2 is still my favorite). I liked S4 but the last episode was the worst Homeland ever and, I think, proof that the writers must hate the fans. Rivaled only by that one early in S3 where Brody is languishing in the ghetto high rise in Caracas.

It was just dogshit. No action. A bunch of conversations I didn’t care about and a very unsatisfying wrap up of the season’s events to that point. Yuck.

Anyone still watching? I think this season has been fairly good but this last episode was awful. It’s fairly clear they want to pad out the plot and perhaps introduce some new people/elements to continue into next season. I wish they would concentrate on wrapping up what they have introduced this year.

I’m still watching. The episode before was actually really good, too. Probably the best episode of the season, so the choices in the most recent episode are odd.

I’m enjoying this season. The first season can’t be topped, but I think this isn’t as weak as some previous seasons.

I’m enjoying it too, with one rather mild disappointment:

TV Time

The current plot line uses the old spy story trope: “Crash the hard drives!” As if the information on the drives could somehow be erased in 30 seconds. Security experts call that “TV Time.” In terms of the overall story it’s not that big a deal, but it is another example of popular media reinforcing wrong ideas, like humans only use a small percentage of their brains.

I’ve noticed several small things like that in Homeland.

But I was watching a show last week, I think it was some hallmark murder mystery, and the lady had her son zoom in on a wristwatch on a bed-side table. He zoomed right in and enhanced the resolution to get a perfectly readable result from the limited pixels. Then he ran his zoom filter over the whole video and they watched the watch for the entire time. I reckon I could blur any lottery ticket and claim it’s for next week’s draw, and that kid’s filter could retrieve next week’s lottery numbers, it was that good.

Then there was CSI Miami “create a gui interface using visual basic to track the ip address”.

Homeland easily flies under the believable enough radar.

Has anyone resolved not to watch next season based on this season? I think I’m just that close. The writers seemed way too determined to add elements from the Real News this season, like hacktivists, and that made the somewhat jumbled story seem to really be reaching much of the time. Carrie also kept raving that “I need those documents!” most of the season without the viewer ever being given a good reason to care about the leak. When Jonas finally blew up at her about “those documents,” I felt like cheering. And Allison being permitted to remain in Berlin after she was pretty much revealed to be a Russian spy made no sense at all.

The only upsides this season were more Dar and Black Ops Saul at the end of the season finale. I haven’t looked into news on the show, but it seems Quinn has gotten too big for his britches now that he’s a big movie star (he’s not).

Nah. I’m just waiting to see Carrie again, naked.

Seriously though, I was like that many times with Homeland, starting with killing off Brody, but I have found the show in subsequent years manages to get me back in the fold. So I come back each year.

I do hate losing characters I enjoyed (Brody, and the others who have come and gone). At least they gave us an appropriate (for me) conclusion for the Allison situation (no spoiler on that for those who haven’t seen the final episode).

I thought this season was decent. Unfortunately nothing will ever be as good as Season 1.

Last scene with Carrie spoliery question

Was Carrie fixing to suffocate Quinn with a pillow or something in the last scene (sort of a mercy killing, since he seemed to be condemned to never recover)? She took the oxygen-sensor thingy off his finger and put it on hers, so I was wondering what was up with that.

Last scene with Carrie spoliery question

I think that was made pretty clear. From Dar making it clear that Peter wouldn’t want to live like that, to her doing what you describe. However, my final thoughts on it were that they like and want to keep the Peter character, so they had god shine some light into the room at the moment before she got her pillow action going. Of course she spends quite a bit of time in chapels, so… Personally, I think they wrote themselves into a position where we should have seen her smother him and kill him off, even though he is more interesting than her with his covert actions. Of course, he has been on the internet in a popular video now with likely millions of views, so his covert value is questionable.

I just finished season 3, overall it was not as good as seasons 1 or 2, but it wrapped the entire story up. I liked that Carrie added that star at the end. :)

I do not own Season 4 or 5, and now Season 6 is airing! So with the way season 3 ended, I am guessing the show did a reboot of sorts?

Is anyone watching anymore? Should I call it quits with season 3?

All I can say is: I did.

I’m still enjoying the show. Last season and this season have both been extremely well done. I don’t recall S4 particularly, but have always been excited to watch new episodes. Moving beyond the Brody storyline has helped the show a lot.

I thought season 1 was great and the ending was perfect so I stopped there.

Season 1 is great. Season 2 kind of pushes it but is still good. After that it’s much worse… but Homeland getting much worse basically ends up turning into a non-terrible version of 24. So if you don’t mind changing your expectations for the type of show it is, it’s still enjoyable.