Homeland

I think the last three seasons have all been better than season two, which for much of it was a farce played with a straight face.

This season has been somewhat muddled and a little too soap-opera-y for my tastes but Rupert Friend’s performance as Peter Quinn has been amazing.

I just finished season 3, overall it was not as good as seasons 1 or 2, but it wrapped the entire story up. I liked that Carrie added that star at the end. :)

I do not own Season 4 or 5, and now Season 6 is airing! So with the way season 3 ended, I am guessing the show did a reboot of sorts?
Is anyone watching anymore? Should I call it quits with season 3?

The show sort of reboots and I feel that it gets better for it. I thought S1 was solid (I was never blown away by the first season like some were), S2 was kind of stupid in a lot of ways, and S3 was part stupid part solid. S4 and S5 were the seasons I genuinely enjoyed. S6 has some good stuff here and there but as I watched the finale last night on the DVR, I felt like it all ended up profoundly, almost insultingly dumb in a way that I haven’t been able to articulate yet.

I thought that Seasons 4 and 5 were the best after Season 1. In Season 4 and 5, the show becomes a CIA Procedural thriller, and it works very well.

Season 6 starts well, but the last few episodes ratchet the whole thing up to an over the top ending of the Season 6 arc – with an even HIGHER over the top episode ending which sets up the premise to Seasons 7 and 8.

And that’s the problem with the end of Season 6. Up to this point, Homeland was a contemporary Intelligence/Terrorism thriller series that reflected the political assumptions and events of the real world in which we live. Sometimes, it did so to a scary degree.

Indeed, with the first half of season 6 it did so to a spooky degree as well. (You need to appreciate Season 6 was written and filmed at a time when Hillary Clinton was the presumptive President).

The ending of Season 6 and the setup for seasons 7 and 8 are now wholly divorced from the political reality in which we live. It’s now a show which is no longer looking at the fallout of 9/11, but the fallout of the premise it sets up to conclude season 6. It now exists in its own alternate reality.

And that premise does not interest me very much at all. The writers blew it.

You meant Homeland s3, because I agree that s1 and s2 were solid whereas s3 sucked total ass… but I heard Season 4 was a bit of a reboot and indeed I am enjoying 4 so far, 10 episodes in. The embassy just got jacked, mang! Also that gimme-the-belt scene, and its aftermath, was fantastic.

Also: should I continue with seasons 5 and 6 (is there even a 7)? For those who have seen it… is there more sucking in store that I should avoid?

Season 4 and 5 are the best by far, IMHO. Season 1 and 2 were good but gimmicky, and season 3 was an attempt to switch the series (they did so successfully, but the season itself is weak) . Without the gimmick this becomes a pretty good show, and season 6 while not as amazing as 4 and 5, is still pretty good.

Season 7 is about to start.

Actually S7 is already 3 episodes in. It’s been really good and a great examination of what is going on in the real world.

Season 4 and 5 were quite good.

Just got into season 6 and gimpy Quinn out there limping along and kicking some major ass is freakin’ hilarious.

Also it’s funny how the show posits that Clinton would be elected, and that our worst security risk would be Americans running a program to troll social media. That turned out to be wildly … optimistic … versus what actually happened. It seems almost quaint.

Season 7 starts off by saying “what if someone a little like trump DID jail political dissidents”? Season 7 has actually been fairly interesting.

I did not like season 6 and the first episode of 7 was somewhat the same but it’s been better the last few episodes…hope they can end it next year in another foreign locale. Much more enjoy those story lines.

Fuckin’ Quinn, man. Jesus. 😭

Yeah he was by far my favorite character in the show. I absolutely dislike every single major character in the current season. I just wanna see how it all ends, they can’t wrap up this show fast enough for me.

Made it to season 7 – LOL Carrie goes on 4chan (literally!) to post a pic she needs identified, and opens a bitware malware encryption attachment someone sent her from 4chan? This is gold. 🥇

The last few episodes have been real good, and maybe a bit too much like reality. Last week someone explained to Saul how to use bot nets to tweet stories to change Public opinion. They didn’t go as far as Hamilton 68, but not far off…

I’m loving the melding of a power-mad Trump and Clinton that they pivoted to here at the end of season 7. It has just the right level of cognitive dissonance.

Finally getting through season 7, just have a few episodes left. I think it’s tough for Homeland to follow the final season of the Americans on my streaming DVR… it’s setting up a failure of a season to fail even harder.

I fall into the season 1 was an ok gimmick, season 2 was kind of shit, season 3 was kind of shit until it had the courage to finish what probably should have happened in season 1. I genuinely enjoyed seasons 4 and 5, but went back to thinking it was shit again for 6 and 7. What’s frustrating with seven is that it didn’t realize it was kind of too dumb of a show to tackle such important ideas, so invariably the importance of the narrative gets lost down all the plot holes much like the narrative in real life gets lost in all of Sean Hannity’s pro bono noise on Russia’s behalf. Maybe the final three episodes turn it around, but I just don’t have any faith in the storytelling abilities of that team.

Also, Claire Danes exhales loudly ten times every scene and I care about Franny’s story almost as little as Carrie does.

New season started a couple of weeks ago. Enjoying it so far, but looking forward to this show wrapping up. Also, I miss Quinn.

Enjoying it too…same kind of stuff. My wife misses Quinn also.

Thought they wrapped up everything as well as could be reasonably expected. I mostly enjoyed this last season even if the series did stray from the unique tension of the first season into a pseudo-sophisticated 24 type soap opera.

I’ve finally gotten around to binging it this weekend while I work on some boring computational tasks. All I can say so far is that this show is bullshit, because they killed Max. Fuck them.