Homeplanet

Just when you thought space simulations were dead and buried yet another game appears out of Russia :

Homeplanet

and Adrenaline Vault has an article up.

Looks a bit like a Homeworld clone. Speaking of Homeworld where is the sequel ?

HW2 is pretty far out, I suspect. I seem to recall hearing it’s a 2004 title. I suspect Relic’s energies these days are devoted to getting Impossible Creatures out the door.

Peter

From the interview:

Inertial mode is something totally new to space sims. In this mode, all velocity vectors of the ship are summed up and the pilot does not directly control movement. This gives the player the ability to make special maneuvers, such as flying in one direction while shooting in another. There’s no speed limit in this mode, except for the speed of light.

Ahem, “totally new?” I guess IWar, Terminus, Starshatter, Ace of Angels, Mantis, Babylon 5: Into the Fire, Frontier: Elite 2, and Warhead never existed then? :?

–milo

Ahem, “totally new?”

I suppose he means ‘new’ in the sense that ‘Wing Commander didn’t do it’.

This sort of thing never ceases to amaze me. You’d think some developers and game writers [sic] never actually played any other computer games.

“In our upcoming FPS#4,914, we have this totally new feature. It’s a sniper rifle and you can zoom in on your target from a long way off!”

-Tom

It’s a sniper rifle and you can zoom in on your target from a long way off!

That would be a pretty neat feature, though.

Maybe not in Russia ? Plus the guys programming this spacesim might not be that old. :?

That’s quite a statement from them. How long does it take to reach light speed? How big is the playing area? What kind of framerate do I get when the ships are blowing by at even .5 of lightspeed?

Didn’t “Wing Commander-Prophecy” have a ship with some real-life inertial modeling?

That’s quite a statement from them. How long does it take to reach light speed? How big is the playing area? What kind of framerate do I get when the ships are blowing by at even .5 of lightspeed?

More importantly, how old is my twin brother on Earth, and where the hell did all these apes come from?

Homeworld 2 is scheduled for a 2003 release.

I think that’s funny considering the very first space shooter for the Atari, you may have heard of it, Asteroids, did that very same hi-tech thing. Hmm.

…and Asteroids copied it from SPACEWAR, which is widely held to be the very first computer game ever created.*

–milo
http://www.starshatter.com

*Actually, Ulam wrote a chess program “MANIAC I” back in 1956 which probably predates SPACEWAR.

Man, this game couldn’t seem like more of a clone. There’s not a single original idea. Yikes.

hum Turing wrote the first chess program in 1950, although he wrote it on paper.

gunga

But it did. Starting with WC3, you could turn off your engines and strafe sideways. Sigh.

Except the name, which is totally innovative. :)

“Homesystem?”
“Nah.”
“Homegalaxy?”
“Nope.”
“Homemoon?”
“Uh-uh.”
“How about… HomePLANET!”
“Bingo!”

When I think of Homeplanet, I will always think of the star and deep space object catalog and renderer written by that guy who invented AutoCAD.

The above was me, sorry. Can’t be too careful logging in these days.

Heh heh, you really think a game that makes you fly ships like jet fighters will sell? Relax, with a speed limit at the speed of light, this puppy will be unplayable… But its Russian makers will think it’s the coolest thing since the express line at the G.U.M.

And so it begins…

Yeah! Hahahaha! Whoever thought that would be a good idea, oughta have his… head… examined… :oops:

–milo