Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak

This would make sense, I think Ground Control and Homeworld already shared some DNA with the persistent army composition between missions (which made wonders for the campaign). I don’t about Dune, though. I don’t see anything in those screenshots that recalls it (expect for the setting :P).

So this is what used to be called Shipbreakers?

Yes.5

That’s how you start wars with the Vasudans. WARS.

Having played the Homeworld remake, I can say that the story doesn’t hold up. It has several great moments, but is tied together in such a haphazard way that it just falls short of the memory. Cataclysm did far better in that regard, and HW2 was a bunch of ham the first time around.

I remember from the game lore that Vasudans had a very complicated language system, with different declensions according to distance from the capital, social status of the Vasudan you’re talking to, etc, so a spelling error starting wars doesn’t really sound all that far-fetched. ;)

Several videos

Meh, looks like a very generic RTS and just makes me wish someone would rather work on HW3.
Btw someone should have told them that the HW UI colors/design clashes badly with a desert world setting.

I am not feeling anything towards this, also how can it be that in 2016, they cannot get tank tracks to remain in the sand?

Definitely waiting for a super sale price, unless reviews turn out to be glowing.

Some of the desert specific stuff like worrying about heat and sand storms sounds cool.

Still i think i’ll wait. I still feel they slapped the homeworld IP on the game at the last minute and that makes me very nervous. I also find the units less interesting. I watched some videos and the whole time i was thinking “I really hope the player isn’t stuck with these boring traditional wheeled units while the enemy gets these cool hover laser tanks.”

In skirmish you can choose. That launch trailer sold it for me. The music,the styling…

Some reviews

GamingTrend 95/100

CGMagazine 8/10

Pc World 8/10

WTF is

Wargamer.com

In a world where the word ‘prequel’ comes laden with mistrust and disappointment, Deserts of Kharak excels in keeping the formula, but expanding effortlessly on what was already good. Without caveat, Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak is the first great game of 2016, and the best real-time strategy in years.

The TB review convinced me to wait for a deep sale. Short campaign and limited replayability.

I’m surprised at how little it does to disguise the fact that it’s just the same old Homeworld on a 2D plane. Although I don’t know what else I was expecting.

-Tom

Holy crap. This comes out tomorrow? Is this just getting shoved out to die?

I picked this up today, can’t wait to play it tomorrow! I’m a huge fan of the Homeworld games, and am happy to see this getting good reviews so far. It is a bit disappointing that there aren’t more multiplayer maps, but I’m hoping that if the game sells well, then more will be released. Aside from that, I’m actually very happy with the scope of the game. Sometimes games with less content have tighter gameplay. Plus the graphic and sound design really captures that Homeworld ‘feel’, which is unlike any other game.

The original HW has 16 missions, Homeworld 2 has 15 missions, this has 13 mission. It’s not that short, unless you have gripes about length of Homeworld.

I’m about halfway through the campaign. I am enjoying it quite a bit, it really has that Homeworld feel to it and the aesthetic is very appealing. The gameplay is fun, the AI is not too challenging but I can see that the different units and their special abilities will give rise to some interesting multiplayer tricks and tactics. Although it is basically Homeworld on the ground, realistic line of sight and physics based shooting makes terrain important, along with an artificial health and damage buff for having a height advantage over your opponent.

So far so good! I’ll probably give MP a crack on the weekend.

I bought this, and refunded it within 10 minutes. The gameplay was laggy, in that it had a slight pause every other second, which drove me crazy, and on medium settings. A shame, because it looked fine.

“Terrain” was something that was lacking in HW2. There were occasional megaliths, but the AI pathfinding got stuck on anything more involved. Maybe they will add that in a future space RTS?