HoMM MMORPG

Gah.

Great… another outsourced American-born series.

–Dave

Saw that. Trying not to think about it or look at it. Like looking into the sun after having your eyes dilated.

A HoMM MMORPG?

Remember, kids. Just say “NO” to drugs.

Now they just need to announce a Might & Magic strategy game.

Then they’ll do a team-based online multiplayer Might and Magic 3D shooter.

This sounds really, really stupid. Anyone remember Command & Conquer: Sole Survivor? Blech.

I just can’t imagine what’s wrong with some developer’s and publisher’s brains. Why not just make a new HOMM, one that actually has good AI?

If you need me, I’ll be in the tavern playing that damn addictive card game.

I thought that was what Ubi were doing, at least according to Celestial Heaven. Anyone know if this is instead of, or as well as?

Also, surely if it’s an RPG it will be a Might and Magic MMORPG, not a HoMM MMORPG - a MMMMORPG.

Oh how far my favorite game franchise has fallen. :(

Can it be that 3do is not really dead after all? A HoMM MMO sounds just their speed.

[quote=“Mike_Hussey”]

I thought that was what Ubi were doing, at least according to Celestial Heaven. Anyone know if this is instead of, or as well as.[/quote]

UBI is definitely working on HoMM V with Fabrice Cabounet (or some such Frenchiness) as the lead guy. Whether it will see the light of day is another story.

This is some concurrent Japanese craziness.

And I too was a little confused about whether this is a HoMM or M&M project. The latter seems more feasible, but they had HoMM III artwork and HoMM IV screenshots on a site I saw. Who knows? Crazy foreigners.

Every time a longstanding, venerable, classic franchise gets MMORPGized, an angel loses its wings.

Is there really much attachment to the HOMM world? I don’t see how sticking the HOMM label on an MMO will do a whole lot for the game.

I’ll be surprised if this ever sees the light of day.

Branding issues aside, Heroes of Might and Magic is actually a pretty good name for an MMO. To put it another way, it’s better than Shadowbane, Saga of Ryzom, Tabula Rasa, and others.

Branding issues aside, Heroes of Might and Magic is actually a pretty good name for an MMO. To put it another way, it’s better than Shadowbane, Saga of Ryzom, Tabula Rasa, and others.[/quote]

Maybe the Might and Magic world, but why HOMM?

Branding issues aside, Heroes of Might and Magic is actually a pretty good name for an MMO. To put it another way, it’s better than Shadowbane, Saga of Ryzom, Tabula Rasa, and others.[/quote]

Maybe the Might and Magic world, but why HOMM?[/quote]

I think that the Might and Magic universe is shared by all games using that name (at least HoMM and MM). I wonder if they are going to include the science fiction element of that universe in the MMO (the Ancients). That they call it Heroes and not just Might and Magic is probably because the strategy games have been more popular. Jon von Caneghem is a good designer/producer, he was behind MM 1-6, HoMM 1-3 (I think he was involved with HoMM 4 as well, but not with MM 7-9) so I’m at least somewhat hopeful about this game. I would also be surprised if this ever sees the light of day, but if it does I think I’ll buy it.

I was only talking about the name.

Heroes of Might and Magic is a great name because it’s obvious: It says, “You’re a hero, in a fantasy world.” Compare that to Shadowbane, Sage of Ryzom (which would be better just being called “Saga”), Tabula Rasa, etc.

Some of the successfull MMOs have pretty generic names that do a great job of telling you exactly what you’re in for: EverQuest, Dark Age of Camelot, Star Wars Galaxies, Final Fantasy Online, etc.

Glad you said “some.” I still haven’t found the anarchy in Anarchy Online, for instance. And who’s this Eve person?

Anarchy Online is an amazing name for an online game; Eve Online, not so much. Though yeah, there’s not much anarchy going on.