Hooray! Now HL2 Episode 2 is $50! HOORAY!

What is there to say? A goddamn escalation of delays and price hikes.

“We’re going to have one package, The Orange Box, available on the PC (US$49.99) as well as the 360 and PS3 (US$ 59.99). In addition to the three new products – Portal, Team Fortress 2, and Half-Life: Episode Two – The Orange Box will also contain the full version of Half-Life 2 and Half-Life 2: Episode One. Those who purchase the PC version of The Orange Box will get three separate Steam product codes: One for the three new games, one for HL2, and one for Episode One. This way a PC Orange Box owner can give away their Half-Life 2 or Episode One unused Steam product codes if they don’t need a copy of those games. We are excited to deliver the highest value of new gaming content ever offered in one box.”

For me the part highlighted in bold is more offending than Hellgate PR saying no one fucking cares about LAN. You are forced to buy software you already have to justify another price hike?

I really don’t see ANYONE being happy about this last solution. It just SUCKS.

At this point they have to separate those three products because paying full price for sidetracks you aren’t going to use isn’t acceptable. And it’s not acceptable to become a reseller to justify that price.

Come on, it sounds like an April’s fool. It’s terrible.

Man… Valve has been hanging out with EA too long :\

I don’t get it. I thought the original price for the Black Box was $49.99 anyway (for the PC version)? So now they’re giving us the Orange Box for the same price, isn’t that a good thing? Or am I wrong about the price of the Black Box that got cancelled?

I’ll still happily buy it for TF2 and Portal. I interpret the bundling of HL2 and Ep 1 as more of a freebie. And it’s pretty cool that they’ll let you give them away. Brilliant, actually. Each one of those giveaways probably means a new Steam install and a chance to upsell.

So just out of curiosity, you’d prefer that they just give you Episode 2, Team Fortress, and Portal for $50?

Don’t like the episodic content suddenly costing $50? Vote with your wallet. Me, I’m only mildly interested in TF2, not at all in Portal, and really would likely only buy HL2:E2. Without an option to split them up, they don’t get my money until the price on all of those drop. If enough people actually care (as opposed to just wanting to bitch) then this should come through loud and clear. If, however, they’ll grudgingly pay $50 because they just have to play HL2 now and, while it sucks, “what’re you gonna do?”, then clearly Valve has hit on the right business approach.

… as someone who doesn’t have episode one yet, that looks like a reasonable deal to me. Plus I can probably get one of my friends to buy me lunch in exchange for the HL2 key.

Don’t see what’s so horrible about it.

Wasn’t there another SKU planned, the Black Box or something, with just Ep 2? Did that go away? Is that the point you’re making? I haven’t kept up.

It would be better if you could turn it in for some Steam credit. It’d be a good way for Valve to move more shit on their service.

The Black Box was going to be $40. So you’re paying $10 for HL2 and Ep1.

I’ll buy it.

But the Steam credit thing would be a good move.

It’s the same thing as console bundling and it’s bullshit. Of course we like being bent over and taken for a ride, so they’ll make money hand over fist.

They could have charged me $50 for Team Fortress by itself and I’d have been there in a heartbeat.

Why can’t I sell back the HL2 and EP1 codes to steam and have them refund me. What if I want to buy just TF2 and portal through steam? For me EP2 is purely a tack on at this point.

Yet the bundles keep being made and keep selling.

In case what I was saying was too opaquely couched:

If you don’t like it, don’t buy it. That’s the only thing that Valve cares about.

Any chance will we be able to by parts off steam? I understand why they don’t want two skews at retail, but if we already have HL2, we are already on the steam bandwagon.

I’d be very surprised if that wasn’t the case.

But I just want Ep 2 for $20…

That’s fair, right? 5 hours of gameplay, $20, just like Ep 1.

Why are they changing the rules?

The difference is that in this case you don’t have the option.

And, obviously, they won’t get my money. A bundle would be convenient if I could get all three for $30 or so. Paying $30 just for Ep2 is a bit of a stretch, but with the bundle it would be a great offer. $35 a “ok” price. $40 for all three is already a stretch and I would think about purchasing it, probably waiting for the price to drop.

At $50 there is no way in hell I’m giving them my money. Or they sell them separately or they are actively supporting piracy, imho.

Trolls everywhere!

I never bought HL2 so this deal looks awesome for me shrug