Hooray! Now HL2 Episode 2 is $50! HOORAY!

Rent the 360 version from GameFly. Then there will be justice.

Same.

Wow. I really don’t get this continual defense that business is business and therefore it is good. That’s not a justification for bundling. Just because you can get people to pay for something doesn’t make it right.

If anyone should be pissed I think it’s retailers that are still sitting on boxed copies of HL2 & Ep 1. The market value of those is about to drop considerably.

Blah, we’re not talking about AIDS drugs here. We’re talking about expensive entertainments for the richest people on the planet. There are bigger things to get upset about.

Maybe they should because it looks far more entertaining than Shadowrun and it’s being sold stand alone. They could probably sell all three for 40 or 50 bucks each and make more money.

Isn’t Episode 2 gonna be longer than 5 hours.

Anyway if you are interested in Ep2 only you could always pirate the game and then send Valve a cheque for the amount you think it was worth with a note attached saying “hey I pirated your game because I didn’t want to buy the $50 bundle but Ep2 was still worth $20 so here’s some money for Gabe to buy hamburgers”

Sure we’re not, but I guess I believe moral principles apply in all circumstance regardless of their seriousness. Bundling is a form of psychological manipulation and I feel that kind of manipulation for personal gain is inherently wrong.

I’m calling stupid on this one as well. Valve has pretty much thrown out the episodic gaming model for something in the opposite direction. Instead of giving gamers timely, regularly paced, and moderately priced stand alone “episodes”, they are taking forever and keep changing the release date of a bundled collection of part-games that cost the same amount as full game. Plus, the wording of the release is as insulting as anything to come out of Sony.

Yes, $50 for HL2, E:1, E:2, TF, and P is a good deal. E:2 alone is worth $20 (and that value was set by Valve when they priced Episode 1). Yet, most of the hardcore fans already own the original and Episode 1. There’s no added value there. Episode 2 is the only thing a majority of Half Life fans want. I’m only interested in the new TF. Portal is an unknown, but I’m guessing an interesting, but short diversion with little replay value. I know I won’t be buying “Orange Box”.

You are being psychologically manipulated by the gaming industry. Throw your keyboard and joypads out the window, burn your computer and consoles, hoist your rag and yell at the gaming industry that you won’t take their vicious strongarm tactics of offering people products for prices anymore.

That’s the dumbest counter argument I’ve ever seen. Offering products for prices is not inherently wrong. I did not say that it was.

I find it morally reprehensible that you call my insult a counterargument. At least you should’ve had the same decency as Valve and warned me about it before I even posted in this thread in the first place.

Really? Next time don’t pretend to be responding to a point. Come out and say, “You’re a dick” or whatever, instead of hiding behind the pretense of being clever.

For example:

KristianV, you’re giant asshole.

See how easy that was?

I’m sure this will be another monster hit, but I’m seriously on the fence. I don’t expect to play any TF2 except for an initial gawk at the models and character animation, and Portal looks wholly uninteresting. I played the freeware game that Valve’s Portal is based on. I got the idea 18 months ago, and don’t need to revisit the gameplay concept. I also ain’t inclined to pay $50 bucks for a short episode of a 3 year old shooter that’s all style and no substance. HL2 suggests a great story but doesn’t actually deliver one.

Does the HL2 in this package include counterstrike?

No, you just said offering products in combinations you don’t like for prices you’re not happy with was “morally wrong”.

I don’t know where you got that I was defending this as “good”. There’s nothing “good” about removing choice from consumer offerings. There’s also nothing “bad” about it. If you’re not happy with it, show your displeasure by not supporting the business. You’ll have to go without Ep:2 or TF or Portal or whatever it is you were hoping for, and Valve will have to go without your $50. I can guarantee you their end of that loss is greater than yours, because at the end of the day a new Half-Life episode isn’t required for your continued sustenance and upkeep.

But really… psychological manipulation? Yeah… they’re trying to get you to buy shit at a price they like. Never seen that in a business relation before!

I guess I won’t be obtaining Episode 2 in a legal manner. Thanks, Valve, for saying a big fuck-you to a customer who bought HL2 Collector’s Edition and Episode 1.

It’s stupid shit like this that makes me want to make good on Bill Hicks’ suggestion that we kill all the marketers.

That is not what I said. They could only offer each one separately and it would not be morally wrong, whether they sold them dirt cheap or ridiculously expensive.

I was trying to layout the connection more explicit, but it’ll take me sometime to work through and make it presentable.

I don’t know where you got that I was defending this as “good”. There’s nothing “good” about removing choice from consumer offerings. There’s also nothing “bad” about it.

On the face of it I’d agree with this, at least under most circumstances.

If you’re not happy with it, show your displeasure by not supporting the business. You’ll have to go without Ep:2 or TF or Portal or whatever it is you were hoping for, and Valve will have to go without your $50. I can guarantee you their end of that loss is greater than yours, because at the end of the day a new Half-Life episode isn’t required for your continued sustenance and upkeep.

I guess it depends on how much you think someone’s interests become part of them.

But really… psychological manipulation? Yeah… they’re trying to get you to buy shit at a price they like. Never seen that in a business relation before!

I think that’s a very broad or opaque view of what’s really going on. I certainly don’t think it’s unique to this business or that any particular business doesn’t do it, but that doesn’t excuse it.

Thanks for the reasonable response and I’ll try to pinpoint the mechanism where I think morality comes in to play.

Sooo, what the hell, I have to pay $50 if I already own HL2/Episode 1/all the other valve games, or is there a cheaper version that I can buy as a loyal customer that doesn’t need the same exact game twice?

I would have bought ep2, Portal and TF2. I don’t know what the prices would have been for those individually, but man, I really don’t feel comfortable with the bundlefuck.