Hope for old school games

http://vogons.zetafleet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2062

Ya know, as much fun as I had with many of those games, looking at the screenshots makes me realize that it’s time to move on.

Loyd “Having Fun with Today’s Games” Case

Ya know, as much fun as I had with many of those games, looking at the screenshots makes me realize that it’s time to move on.

Loyd “Having Fun with Today’s Games” Case[/quote]

Until they make a worthy sequel X-Com and Syndicate will always have a place in my heart.

Syndicate and Darklands here… sometimes a little Ultima 5. Even if I only sit down with them for a few hours here and there, I still find myself coming back to these games.

Mine, too. But I’m not gonna go back and play them.

Loyd “Waiting for Silent Storm” Case

X-COM is a bit hard to play now. It looks terrible on large monitors. That was a 320x200 game.

It’s so ridiculous they haven’t remade that game. Email X-COM, X-COM Interceptor, X-COM Enforcer, and the aborted X-COM Alliance, but no regular old X-COM! Auuuuuugh!!!

::crosses fingers that UFO: Aftermath will be worthy::

I’ll say it again for the nth time. I highly recommend actually purchasing an old machine if you want to play old games.

It makes it a lot easier.

:D

Plus! Keep your DOS skills from getting rusty, cause who knows when you’ll need them again!

Hell, I’ve got about four or five machines lying around. It’s finding the space to set it up which is the problem for me!

I’m a tech - grew up on DOS - this won’t be a problem. :wink:

I don’t really have the space to set up an old machine. Wish they would make a handheld device that I could just wipe and boot to dos.

PocketDOS for ppc keeps improving, give him some more time.

Ya know, as much fun as I had with many of those games, looking at the screenshots makes me realize that it’s time to move on.[/quote]

Huh, didn’t bother me at all. X-COM and Master of Magic are still really fun games IMO.

Now I’m drooling. That would finally give me a use for this silly Toshiba pocket PC thing I have on my desk. I drool at the prospect of 256 MB of compact flash retro gaming goodness. (MoM, MOO, X-Com, maybe Magic Carpet, Prince of Persia II, and X-Wing for a bit of a change of pace.) Would just need some type of built in controllers as well for the more action oriented games.

I definitely agree with that. I think it depends on the game. When I went back to play Doom, it was totally unplayable and basically boring. I’m too used to modern games that do everything it did, and better. On the other hand, I recently spent a week playing X-com and it was more fun now than it was when I first played it. Ignoring the graphics, it had aged very well. I found and pulled out Lemmings (after the DHTML Lemmings from a month ago) and, once it ran, it was lots of fun and very effective.

Doom of course has a thousand descendants, but I can’t find anything like a modern version of X-com or Lemmings. Maybe it’s just that the lack of modern equivalents leaves them more playable, since there isn’t anything to compare them to?