Horizon Zero Dawn - Postapocalyptic cavewoman vs Zoids

I have a business trip this week and I am not happy about it.

Preloaded.

My physical copy is apparently arriving today. Isn’t official release date tomorrow?

Did you order from Amazon? If it shows up today will you be able to play or will you have to wait for the Day 1 patch?

I ordered from Best Buy. No idea if I’ll be able to play it. We’ll see!

Now that I’m a happy PS4 owner I had a weak moment on Sunday and pre-ordered this. So damn excited!

Wellcome to the empire of evil :D, may our lord George Hotz pardon us.

If you have a PS4, getting this seems like a no brainer.

I’m tempted, but playing games at 30FPS on my PS4 leaves me with strained eyes and a headache after any decent length of time. So I’m torn between buying a RPG (which I’m really in the mood for) to help justify the purchase of a $400 paperweight or skipping it to avoid throwing good money after bad.

This game has an option to bias between resolution and performance, at least on the Pro version, doesn’t it? Makes me really wish there was an upgrade path to a PS4 Pro.

UPS delivered my copy! This is a seriously good looking game. I mean… wow, just gorgeous. I’m just sitting here admiring how well hair is done. This game makes me want to run out and buy a 4K HDR TV to experience that mode, I bet it looks amazing. (come on, LG, drop those OLED prices!)

I can confirm performance mode on the Pro is not 60fps. It smooths framerate and adds “enhanced graphics” but it’s clearly 30fps.

30 frames! 30!! I remember struggling with 5 to 8 frames in Oblivion or seeking out that magic upgrade option that could pull off 15 or more frames reliably in Supreme Commander. Lawns and stuff!

If you need me, I’ll be hunting robot dinos tonight. :)

I’m so jealous of you, I have the whole night free tonight as the wife is going out. Of course tomorrow I’m going to be busy

We’re going to have to report you, Gordon. Immediately turn off the PS4 and wait for those of us playing tomorrow!

I remember reading Tom’s Hardware and seeing shooter stats in the high 50s and wondering how I ever would get there.

For shooters, for me, as long as it doesn’t drop below 30, I’m good. If it’s higher, that’s cool, but I don’t think my reflexes are good enough to really require or capitalize on differences above that level.

Oh yeah. This dovetails right into what I was just writing in the “why PC gaming came back” thread. It USED to be that you had to spend a freaking fortune and regularly to have decent performance in nearly anything sort of new. Nowadays, well, 30 frames is seen as sub par and to be snubbed. Even on ailing PC rigs or by extension similar tech consoles. First world problems. This must be how the robot dinosaurs take over.

Took down a strider, heading to bed. Tomorrow we feast!

Home from work and there’s still 6 and a half hours before unlock! WTF!? Looks like I’m not playing until tomorrow night now…

Still 3 more hours for the download…crap…have to wait till tomorrow night.

I caved and bought it. Hopefully I’ll get to play some this afternoon.