Horizon Zero Dawn - Postapocalyptic cavewoman vs Zoids

Finished it last night.

• 59 hrs, Hit max level about 3 missions back. Unlocked all skills.
  • Power armor is a bit OP and makes that last mission a bit on the easy side.
  • Everything completed except collectibles.
  • Just a great last level and ending. So satisfying. I really like where they are taking this IP with what they hinted in the post credit ending.
  • Listening to the soundtrack at work. It’s quite good.
  • Once I had bought all the weapons and armor and crafted everything I went on a purge of resources. I sold all the hearts, lenses, etc that I had horded since there wasn’t too much need for them anymore. Besides, I could always buy them back at the merchant. I basically kept all the mats used for consumables (ammo, potions, traps, etc) crafting. That really helped with inventory management.

More! Want more now!!! I guess I’ll go back and 100% this thing. Last game I did that for was Shadow of Mordor and as much as I loved that game, this game is better in every way.

Ya, my only complaint was that I felt kind of sad when it was over. But after like 70 hours, I can’t really complain it was too short.

Wow kindred spirits! Same here concerning Shadow of Mordor. Actually I just picked Mordor up on PS4 and am playing through it there (played PC the first time). The game is still excellent but I wish it had controls similar to Horizon. Horizon just felt great with the controller while Mordor feels like it’s actively fighting you at times.

It really was something. Even a few weeks after finishing, I kind of miss it. I will buy whatever sequel or DLC that show up even though I finished the story. I’ve never done that for a game.

How do you folks feel about H:ZD vs. say Mad Max? I didn’t get far in Mad Max but have been meaning to get back. I am smitten by H:ZD.

I really like the first few hours of Mad Max but lost interest after that. It just didn’t have enough variety in the the things to do and the combat was only okay. Horizon is in an entirely different league than Mad Max.

Ah, maybe it was good that I never got back to it then. Too many games, way too little time.

So for someone who liked but couldn’t quite love Horizon, would you recommend Mad Max? And how would people compare Horizon Zero Dawn to Far Cry Primal?

I would say that if Horizon wasn’t your cup of tea, I cant imagine those other 2 working for you.

Perhaps telling us what games you liked would help. Mad Max is pretty good, Primal was ok. They both PALE in comparison to Horizon.

Well I liked it! I just have a high threshold for loving a game, and Horizon had too many small imperfections for me to get there. I imagine that Mad Max and Primal will also have too many imperfections for me to love them, but I might like them! I don’t know.

If I only played games I knew I was going to love, I’d never play any games.

Went back tonight and 100% it and got the platinum trophy.

• collecting all the stuff took about 2 hrs
  • missed a pretty long side quest that took about an hour. Yeah! More content!
  • whacking all the dummies took a while.

64 hrs. I guess it’s back to Zelda for me.

Update: Make sure you opt in to marketing emails on your psn account to get the email for the free exclusive platinum trophy theme code. I just got mine.

And done! At least for awhile, 40 hours, level 46, most of the side quests done…I think. I think it’s going to be hard to top this, so far my game of year. Really loved everything about this. I’m going to put it down for awhile so I can get to Zelda and Nier and Persona but I’ll likely come back to just spend time hunting and looking for more side quests. I’m pumped for any DLC/sequel this team puts out!

At the end of the year we need to plot the order we all played this year’s classics and which one was the GOTY at the time.

I’m really hoping they’ll get a bit of DLC or an expansion out before the end of the year, not only because I want more, but also to get the game back into people’s minds when it’s time to think about GOTYs. Such an amazing game.

Yeah that would be interesting. I’ve put about 5 hours into Zelda and about an hour or two into both Nier and Persona. My opinion could definitely change after I’m done with those games (Zelda is most likely to take its place I think) but I could have played any of those games and ZD was the one I wanted to finish first.

As to these games staying in the public mind I think some well-times DLC in the fall would be the perfect thing to remind people how awesome this game is. Especially since I may well still be trying to finish Zelda and Persona at the end of the year.

And if you want another peek behind the scenes, you might want to stop by at ArtStation because Guerrilla did a massive art drop today:

https://magazine.artstation.com/2017/05/guerrilla-games-horizon-dawn-art-blast/

Stole a bunch of time this weekend and spent 10 hours with this over the weekend. Thoroughly convinced right now that this is the best open world RPG since The Witcher 3. I’m completely in love with the characters, the story, and especially the setting.

DLC later this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5xsS1WZA54

So excited