Horizon Zero Dawn - Postapocalyptic cavewoman vs Zoids

Oh, hah, no, not at all! It looks great on the regular one as well. I’m intensely obsessive compulsive to the point that if I can notice a minor difference, it’ll ruin it for me. My wife LOVES it when a new console comes out, hah

I wouldn’t buy a PS4 Pro, as it generally seems like a half baked idea anyway (basically like the XBox S… but baffleingly without a 4k BluRay player?). If I didn’t have a PS4, I’d get a pro… but as it is, meh.

Either way though, the game looks amazing on the PS4… so if it looks even better on the pro, so much the better.

Between this and Bloodborne I’m kinda sorta tempted to get a PS4 which is the first time ever I’ve felt the itch to buy a console due to exclusive titles.

Are you, or have you been, a PC gamer? $400 for a new graphics card and doubling of storage space isn’t too unreasonable if you look at it from that perspective. I spent more than that upgrading from a GTX 970 to a 1080 last year and for similar reasons… to be able to play at higher resolutions more consistently (1440p, in my case).

It’s weird that I have a closet full of videocards and peripherals for every manner of simulator, but I couldn’t get myself to buy the Pro after missing the $340 deal on Black Friday.

I think I didn’t get enough use out of the PS4 to justify it since I only used it for one game. I can still play Nioh on the PS4 and it looks tolerable, so we’re talking $400 to enhance one exclusive. I guess that’s too much of a waste for me.

Well you can trade it in for 175 if you don’t hate Gamestop so then it’s only 225 to upgrade.

Yeah, I’ve really gone back and forth on it. I barely touch my PS4, but a lot of the reason is due to performance issues. So I had a real debate on whether getting a Pro was throwing good money after bad or not.

In the end, I have a 4K TV so I decided that I’d pick up a Pro with a portion of my tax refund. I’ve still see-sawed back and forth on whether it was a dumb buy on my part, but when I thought of it in terms of upgrading my video card for my “living room PC”, it kind of solidified things for me.

It was an easy choice for me - I had sold my PS4 early last year as it was just collecting dust, and then wanted PS4 again just for Final Fantasy XII remaster, so why not grab a Pro? I could at least pretend I was upgrading and not buying another PS4 that way. I then picked up a 4K HDR TV and I’ve really enjoyed some of the offerings I missed out on and am eager to jump into Horizon (after I beat Torment once), let alone stuff like Nioh and probably Mass Effect 4 (just to avoid Origin and be able to sell it later). All in all, it looks like finally we are in a good time to own a PS4 (or a PS4 Pro).

I don’t know if I’d recommend updating to the PRO unless you can sell your PS4 for a decent amount and get a deal on a PRO. If you can get $150-200 for a PS4 and pick up a PRO for $350, that might be a decent investment, I suppose.

Welp, so far it’s like they read my mind and genetically engineered the perfect game for me. Every time I play an RPG, I choose a female human (or sometimes elf) hunter so I can use the bow and arrow, but I’m really more of an action gamer at heart. This game falls right in my sweet spot.

Horizon’s “primitive meets futuristic” was always a killer hook but I’m super impressed with how thoroughly they’ve incorporated that central contrast into the design of the world, the game mechanics, and the narrative. The characters and story might not quite be up to The Witcher 3’s superlative standards, but it’s comparable in quality and that’s really saying something. I haven’t had a game grab me this hard in a while.

I like the parts where you kill a robotic horse and a chip falls out of it so you tape the chip to your wooden bow and now it does more damage. This game is just the right kind of ridiculous.

If your bow whinnies when you shoot it, I will buy this game.

Some screenshots

linked because may be consider spoilery for some
http://i.imgur.com/74ADG3d.jpg

I admit it, this game looks super awesome, but isn’t it just another open world collectathon? I haven’t followed the game much, mind you, but what makes it better than Far Cry Primal except robo dinosaurs? I guess I’m partly answering my own question: everything is better with robo-dinosaurs, but besides that?

And I’m still waiting for you to make sense of Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code in a sentence @Mike_Cathcart. You have to help me understand that one.

I think the story is better? The overall gameworld is pretty well fleshed out, from what I’ve seen thus far.
Plus, saying “what’s better other than robot dinosaurs” is like saying “What’s better about this backpack compared to this other one, besides the fact that it’s filled with gold?”

Just the fact that it’s not yet another Ubisoft open world (or Bethesda, for that matter) is a huge plus in my book and makes the whole thing feel fresh and not at all collect-a-thon-ish. And Timex is right about the story. It’s much closer to Naughty Dog’s character-driven, emotional approach than the tiresome Far Cry template of designing a colorful and casually-insane antagonist to hang the story upon.

Plus it’s fun to see the talented folks at Guerrilla set loose on building a world and costumes and creatures that isn’t Killzone. That series always seemed to me like it had better style than gameplay.

Not only the story, but the culture of the game is more fleshed out. There are laws, religions and factions here that a Far Cry or Bethesda game really only skirts. And for post apocalypse, the history seems to be going farther then “oops, everyone died.”

I have been a pc gamer, still am when I have the time, but I wasn’t a gamer that upgraded regularly. I’d use my old pc until new games arrived that I really wanted to play but couldn’t, and then I’d buy a new pc that was up to spec. Last time this happened, I bought the Ps4.

Had the pro been around at the time, I would ofcourse have bought the pro. I mean: it’s not the pro itself that I don’t get, I just can’t phantom buying one when already having a normal Ps4 that plays the game just fine. But that’s just me, fair enough if you see and appreciate the differences and are able to afford a new one!

As for the game: played a bit yesterday and it is indeed awesome sofar! Totally failed my first hunt, so I still have a lot to learn, but enjoying it immensly!

I still have not much idea of how to deal with large battles with the robots.

The electric trap can be use has area denial somewhat, but the robots are going to walk trough them removing that defense. Many monsters die in a single shoot, with good aim, but the big ones takes a lot of damage.

Matching the damage bonus seems critical (he), checking if the monster will take more damage to fire or what. Then using sometimes the frozen balls to slowdown them.

Horrible lame strategies sometimes work, like hiding behind some rocks or on top a mountain.

I have no much sympathy for the traps, they seems to only delay monsters a bit, or they ignore them.

The sling is an AOE weapon. Seems to be the obvious approach, though to be fair I haven’t really tried it yet. Mostly I play the combat as a stealth game.

That could work. Like… overriding robots that are in isolated places and killing others. But is somewhat too slow, but maybe thats what the game is about?