Horizon Zero Dawn - Postapocalyptic cavewoman vs Zoids

Uh well you’ve pretty much got it exactly. Go to the modification screen, choose a weapon and it will list which modifications apply. Choose the one you want.

Weapon mods only apply to weapons that they will benefit. For instance, a fire mod only goes on weapons which have a fire based ammo type.

Haven’t played a lot since I picked it up yesterday, but it’s the best looking console game I’ve ever seen (playing on original PS4) and the story is intriguing.

I played the game twelve hours straight yesterday. I haven’t done that in a long time with a new game.

The inventory could use a “sell junk to vendor” button, sure, but tbh, the resource pouch has plenty of space when upgraded a few times. I’ve only sold a few items and still not even close to running out of slots. And I’ve been picking up everything I find and hunting like a mo fo.

I like that the vendors give you a free goodie bag. :)

Heck, I might just say game period, I can’t think of anything on the PC really looking better at the moment. I think environment wise it’s a hair above Witcher 3, though admittedly Horizon is locked at 30 FPS.

Finally, a game that makes me happy I bought a PS4!

On my Pro, I really couldn’t see noticable visual difference between their pseudo-4K mode and 1080P on my Samsung 65" 4K set, but the movement was clearly smoother at 1080P. So, opted for that instead of the checkerboard 4K.

Yes, that’s odd because the Digital Foundry tests showed that performance was practically identical between the two modes, with ‘performance’ mitigating a few rare drops below 30.

But it felt smoother to me as well, so that’s what I went for too!

The game do a great balance between looking good and being usable. Is a trade-off, often to be usable you have to sacrifice graphic quality.

I can climb any mountain and I do often, even places that are barren to the player look good.
The climbing parts are often painted yellow so are easy visible, but the design is so clever that don’t look out of place.
Towns and settlements are special places to sell and rest, each one feel different, and each tribe have a different style. Each npc can be asked and say something.
The game joyfully give resources to the player, everywhere you go theres small crates with resources, vendors have 1 free crate with resources.
The creatures have a agro radius but they never feel binary. Some seems to have a larger one, but all of them have a timer getting angry. Is not binary like in a mmorpg where if you ever touch the agro radius of a creature you must kill it or outrun it.
Theres high grass to hide, and it feel part of the map design, not out of place. Just walking crouch is enough to even some silent kills.
Every npc have their own design, most choose metal parts from the robots to make their face special, unique. They all look cool and interesting in his own way.

I appreciate how masterfully balanced are these things. Is too easy to do like in a Mass Effect game where you enters a room and you know there will be a battle because is filled with chest height walls. Or is too easy like in many games, where every town is a copy and paste of other town. Sometimes it feel that theres more love put in small parts of this game than in complete ones.

Yeah game is a solid 30 pretty much in both modes. I think performance mode might add some motion blur though.

Looks the same in both modes to me … same ugly halo around the character when you rotate the camera.

Man. PC version please :/

Time to buy a console Alistair.

Amazing game so far, the first 10 hours are very well done. Like the Witcher 3 well done. It will be interesting to see how it holds up over the game length, the Witcher 3 kept an almost impossible pace for a hundred hours or so.

It’s a bit more ham fisted and clumsy, for sure, but I still completely bought into the lore and can’t wait to see what happens next.

Graphically I feel like it’s just slapping my senses around. Visually stunning starts to make a little sense after playing this game. I walked in a daze through the intro town and found myself, like a country bumpkin, listening in awe to a description of a new city and absolutely hoping we can visit it later.

Playing on a 4k TV on an original PS4. I keep watching the comparison videos and telling myself it doesn’t make much sense to upgrade it, when I would rather put that money into a 1080ti. Given the minimal differences I think I might actually show some restraint for once.

Ha. Guess it was bound to happen.

While typing that sentence I wondered if somebody was going to just quote that phrase, for just that reason. I figured the thought itself would preclude somebody doing so but obviously I was wrong.

I live to serve, sir.

The problem is the gamepad. I refuse to aim with a joystick! I’m glad everyone is enjoying it though.

Is it spoiler territory to ask about how folks are progressing their damage? I don’t want to go into the spoiler thread as the world building is so cool in this game. However, I am about 10 to 20 hours in and I am finding my damage has not really changed much however the monsters have definitely gotten meaner and require much more careful aim/damage type juggling.

Same boat. I finally figured out if I waited a bit fire will do a ton of damage but it’s a slow process. I also sometimes did massive damage to a weak point and other times next to none. I don’t know if that’s me not being observant enough or the game not giving me enough details to find out why. But I certainly feel behind in progression, probably because I am concentrating on doing side quests instead of the main?

Patch 1.03 is out and fixes crashes and progression bugs, of which I have had none.

1. Weapon upgrades. I think they provide a little damage. The more important aspect of weapon upgrades is new ammo types, of course.

2. Mods - this one is definitely huge. When I first upgraded the starter bow to blue it’s fire arrows took 4 ticks to kill boars. I added a nice purple damage mod and upgraded to shadow and now it takes two ticks.

3. Combining the right tools with the right tactics.

The latter can only be learned over time, of course. I am still confused at what half the icons mean. I got a shadow sharpshooter bow and thought “so what the fuck is Tear anyway” and then it turned out tear burst arrows are so amazing, but it’s basically sort of a combo of armor piercing and component destroying (and tear burst, you know, burst). There are some enemies where that’s especially helpful.

There are plenty of vulnerable spots of course; even at the start of the gamre you can one-shot watchers with eye-hits. The only human enemies I can’t one shot with head shots are elites. But for the machines it frequently boils down to hitting them in the right spots with the right things. Fire on canisters is the obvious early lesson. But you might have success stripping armor and then finding a vulerable spot e.g…

At first it seemed to me that damage upgrades were slow to come by but I feel like I’m getting much more effective over time through upgrades and growing my tactics.