Horizon Zero Dawn - Postapocalyptic cavewoman vs Zoids

LOL you had me going there. I was like "you got real unlucky, because every time I’ve done it I’m like
http://i.imgur.com/0hQyd5L.gif
"

There is a spear skill later on that lets you significantly stagger almost all of the bots that could help a lot with a melee run. It’s scary to try it on new robots, but once you realize how many of the big guys you can stagger with it, you will save your body weight in arrows and grenades…

Speaking of arrows, is like to point out that the way you can immediately craft any ammo, seamlessly, is one of the most brilliant innovations of this game.

It’s awesome because, while you still want to have larger quivers, and ammo isn’t unlimited, it’s easily created to the degree that you never why away from using a weapon because you are “saving” it for a bigger enemy.

The same for probs and traps and everything. It’s great, because I was able to actually use everything.

Most games, I always end up hoarding that crap, and then end up never using it at all. This game totally solved that for me.

I completed this tonight. Total time played was around 40 hours, and I was level 41 or 42 or so as well. I had probably 6 or 7 side quests on my plate, plus the hunting lodge, I never explored - let alone all the shown but never visited villages that likely had some really interesting side quests as well. I tried to skim a lot of the data pads and listen to audio journals when I could, because I was just invested in the story being told here, and I couldn’t get enough back story. It had an incredibly satisfying conclusion, imo. If I’d read this as a book I’d have no complaints, that’s for sure. Damned fine stuff. And it was an honestly fun game to play, even on hour 40. I’ll definitely keep this around for a second play through in a few years.

EDIT - Post credit scene just finished, I let the credits roll while I was typing this up and surfing and my patience was rewarded. Do stick around for them, they are… excellent.

It’s copied from Far Cry Primal. ;)

Did they? Then kudos to those guys. Because it solves an issue that I’ve had in every game.

Just spent some time going around picking up the datapoints I missed. Looks like I have about half of them now. The main quest I’m still on is “The City of the Sun” (Find Olin at the Excavation Site.)

And apparently I have 39 hours in the game right now. Game completion says I’m at 48.62%.

Yeah Primal works in a very similar way; you collect wood from the saplings in the world then build arrows etc. directly from the weapon wheel. Unsure if any other game did this before.

Pic

I think Horizon Zero Dawn does it a bit slicker though.

(Dammit I replied to myself instead of @Timex! :D )

I am loving this game and always can’t wait to get back to it. I am 42:30 in and level 31 (41% complete). I’m playing on one difficulty level up from normal (hard, i guess). I find I’m rarely using fast travel, and I rarely use a mount. There’s so much to see, and I’m a little compulsive about picking flowers and shooting critters.

I guess I’m in mid-game, because I’m having a lot of trouble with the bigger machines and with groups. I’ve been doing the hunting challenges and the weapon challenges. I’ve been kind of completionist, doing all the quests in order of difficulty levels, sometimes trekking huge distances by foot. I find the travel to be really enjoyable, relaxing at times, picking off animals, and trying to avoid the bigger packs of robots.

One complaint I have is that XP is too plentiful, causing me to level up much faster than the quests I’m doing. This isn’t such a big deal, though, as your character’s level is only one factor in how powerful you are - you get some extra hp and a skill point, but a lot of your power comes from your weapons and mods.

My other complaint is how bad the human AI is. There’s a lot of “What’s this? A dead body! Guess I’ll go back to work.” On the other hand, the robot AI is just the opposite. If I can’t get a stealth kill, those things will bring in reinforcements, sometimes leaving me with no choice but to run away.

And I’m finding the game to be pretty difficult at times. I get killed a fair amount, biting off more than I can chew. I like how it preserves your quest progress when you get killed, even for the weapon challenges and the hunting grounds. I don’t like how you lose any weapon or mod setups.

I do love the ranged combat, and all the different tools at your disposal. I don’t use traps as much as I should.

Heh, I once killed a while camp by calling every guy over to the same spot and stealth killing then on to of each other’s bodies.

For most of this game I ran the stealth armor, boosted for more stealth.

I didn’t really realize how effective this was, until I got some other super armor later, which has no stealth boost… And suddenly everything can see you! I had kind of thought that the range which enemies see you was kind of fake and short, but apparently that was entirely due to my armor.

Ah. I’m primarily running stealth armor as well. Boosted for added stealth. I wonder if I would have added survivability if I used armor that had, you know, armor.

I agree. Experience (and skill points) are too plentiful. I spent the last 15 or 20 hours of the game at max level with all skills. And some of those skills are really bad.

Human AI (or machine before stealth breaks) is also really bad. It is such a silly contrast to the cool monster fighting system involving systems dissection and machines avoiding traps unless tricked.

Still. Fantastic game. I finished it last night and it stands tall as one of the best gaming experiences I have had as it delivers gameplay and story rather well. Usually you get one or the other, not both, in the best of games.

Would be great if they patched a few ‘carry more stuff’ skills for the late game.

I customized the various armors to their strength. So the freeze armor was really good at protecting from cold, and so on. This made some fights, if I bothered to swap, much more efficient. Everytime I saw a glinthawk I would don that armor and it made those encounters so much easier. Instead of taking 2 full health bars it would barely take 1/3d of one.

You have to remember to swap though. I went from Stealth->Cold->End game armor during the course of the game for the most part since cold based enemies are what gave me the most trouble.

I don’t have the cold armor because I’m lacking the part you need to buy it. :(

Beat the game, did everything except some data world data points. I would like to read them all, given how much I enjoyed the story, but I loathe the idea of using an out of game resource to try and track down every one of them.

Loved it from the start to finish at 69 hours. If there was DLC, I would be playing it, and I can’t think of a higher recommendation than that. It’s hard enough to finish most games, let alone dive into DLC for me.

Should I buy the hint maps to Metal Flowers, Banuk Figures etc? Or are those specifically cheats? I can’t tell if the developers put this in for people who get super frustrated or if it was meant that everyone who plays the game were intended to buy them?

Not sure how they could be considered cheats?

They don’t actually tell you exactly where the stuff is, but rather give you a circular area where each is. So you go there, and so have to look around a bit.

Honestly, without the maps, I’m not sure you would ever find them.

I didn’t know if stumbling upon stuff as you travel was integral to the experience, or if the maps were a treasure map sort of thing. This developer went to great lengths to make the game as accessible as possible with so many options.