Horizon Zero Dawn - Postapocalyptic cavewoman vs Zoids

I meant; given you buy them in game.

Totally late to the party but this finally arrived for me today.

Had to double check I was actually using a PS4.

Played for an hour before realizing I was only going to check it out for a few minutes.

I was skeptical about getting this but after playing some of the intro areas, so glad i did. It’s like that Speilburgian spark from the 80s of imaginative adventure films that doesn’t condescend to the audience and are smartly written has left America and immigrated to Europe. Playing the opening of Horizon felt like watching something like Willow or Neverending Story again for the first time.

I rented this to see if it clicked and really loved the first few hours. The controls are very good and the crafting and movement and bow shooting feel very Tomb Raider-like (damn good and satisfying), but with even better visuals and so far a more interesting story.

Ordered a copy after I returned it yesterday and should have it for the weekend.

Has anyone here tried it and not been sucked in? I haven’t had time to play for a few days but looking forward to jumping back in this weekend. Still get amazed just walking around, especially the snowy mountain areas.

I can’t imagine anyone not enjoying this game. I’m probably a dozen hours in or so, level 20, and I feel like I’ve barely scratched the surface. Even now I’m totally satisfied booting this up for 30 mins just to do some random hunting and it’s a great time. I’ve also got Zelda which is also incredible and trying to find time for both is quite the challenge.

If I have a complaint, it’s just that it’s too short.

And really, it’s not short. I got 67 hours out of it… but it didn’t have the hundred+ hours of some other open world type games.

Mainly, I just wanted to play more of it.

It has quite a few negative reviews, more than I would think. At least one or two all made valid points but their take away was completely different than mine. Especially the complaints about the story being an exposition dump, I thought they did a great job trickling out the story and keeping me enthralled.

I don’t think I’d like it because I hate aiming with a gamepad. But I’ve said that already.

I guess I could try it. In some ways, I’m scared to find out. I have to limit games somehow.

Since I’m always fascinated by player expectations, I thought it was interesting how reviewers all said “I’m so sick of open worlds like this, but this one is so good that I was surprised how much I liked it.” Perhaps someone with an even more cynical take on AAA open world games would still hate it. Suspension of disbelief is a fragile thing.

There’s no point to this post. I’m just philosophizing out loud about videogame enjoyment.

I hate aiming with a gamepad. I love this game. It can be a little clunky lining up shots. I enjoy the hell out of the combat.

But since we can’t easily quantify distaste, add a grain of salt to taste.

If you are looking to play this melee-only, though, I say saltily, “don’t bother”.

I can’t hear you!

I’m terrible at aiming with a gamepad. But the concentration skill that slows time down let’s me line up and get in the that initial volley. Then I flail around like an idiot when it wears off and I get charged.

I have always been horrible at aiming with a controller. In Horizon it seems to be natural. I can’t explain it.

The Concentration skill makes all the difference in the world. Great for hunting wabbits, too.

I’ll probably be getting this game, looks awesome… but I never was big into robot dinosaurs. Dinosaurs yes, but not robotic! Thats just childish!

No the reason I am not getting this game right away is because I hate aiming with a gamepad… just like you folks! And I read the game doesnt have an autoaim. meh. I’ll go play Far Cry Primal to get my tribal archery needs til a sale…

Did anyone use the skill that slows time while you are jumping and aiming?

I never found this useful, as I never found myself in the air long enough to make use of it. I guess it would be better while jumping off cliffs or something?

I’ve used it a few times but it only works once you’ve got the longer concentration perk. Mainly when I’m in terrain that is slightly lower than than the area I wan to shoot into, I jump, slowmo, aim to get the shots off I need.

What I’m having difficulty using are the slingshots. In the hunter challenges they work fine, or for grazing animals, but every other critter it just doesn’t work as I can’t aim accurately/fast enough to put it on target very well. Anyone else feel this way, or do you have a technique you could explain to help me improve?

I pretty much avoid the slingshots except as a first strike from stealth. It’s quite difficult for me to tell where I’m aiming especially when tilting the camera up.

It does, and you can turn it off. It’s hard for me to hit with autoaim on, so I can’t imagine turning it off.

I hate aiming with the controller. I never use a controller on the PC if I can avoid it, I would rather work through unconfigurable obtuse keyboard layouts than lose mouselook.

Some games are worth pushing through the pain.

I use the explosive based slingshot all the time on the big guys. Hard to miss, plus it usually staggers them.

Thanks. I gave up a while ago, but I’ll give it another…shot.