Horizon Zero Dawn - Postapocalyptic cavewoman vs Zoids

Also, if you use the sticky grenades, they don’t alert enemies until they explode, so you can stick like 5 into a target before they even realize what is happening.

More and more reasons why the combat gameplay is so good. :)

Game’s done deservedly well:

Buried at the end is confirmation that they’re working on an expansion.

They are just gonna suck it up trying to milk it for more money.

So I finally reached the “desert zone” and these robo-Dino’s are much more dangerous than those in the early zone! I was feeling like a real badass taking down watchers, scrapers, grazers and the occasional tiger-thing with no difficulty. Within a few minutes in the new zone I’m getting regularly wrecked by snapmaws, longlegs, and tramplers and it’s awesome! I’m even breaking out my traps and using pretty much everything in my arsenal, every fight feels like a real strategic thing now. I even ran I it this giant war-bird thing that was harassing a group of hunters and tried to help take it down but nope that thing just about one-shot me.

Awesome!!! I want more of this :) I’d like to see more interesting quests though.

Just finished the main story and man this was great. Real nice piece of sci-fi writing married with great gameplay.

I kind of want the Avatar/Legend of Korra folks to make Legend of Aloy show now.

I just got to this one as well, and I’m more than frustrated, I switched from the game to Netflix. I used over 100 arrows on a giant bird and only got it to half health. A cow kicked the hell out of me. A pack of mini birds destroyed me.

The difficulty level was progressing at a pretty good pace, but this was overwhelming.

Sprint, slide, sprint, slide, shoot, sprint, slide, sprint, shoot.

I was happy to get to this area. I felt like I had far outgrown the previous section. But, yeah, the birds are tough to deal with, but it you drive defensively, you should be okay.

For birds go with fire arrows, and have a bow slotted for fire damage.

If you’re talking Glinthawks you need to use the ropecaster. Tie them down and a few crit melee hits and they’re done. If you’re talking the giant plane-size bird…yeah run away.

Nah, ropecaster has a limited range for glinthawks. 1 fire arrow will drop a glinthawk, then you can critical strike or otherwise whale on them.

The 1 fire arrow might require X% increase from fire mods, not sure. It just always worked for me, though I always slotted for fire on that bow.

Easiest way to kill the glinthawks is to skip tethering and just set them on fire. They will burn fast, and as soon as they catch fire they fall to the ground.

The stormbird is the one I found tethering to be more helpful.

Also, drinking resistance potions helps these fights.

Pro Tip - if you want to see huge numbers and really quickly hit those elemental states, fire three arrows at a time. :)

Great tip. Also, wearing ice resistance modded ice armor really takes the bite out of glinthawks.

Will I know when I’m getting near the end of the main quest? I’ve out leveled all of my quests, but my main quests are lowest at level 14 or 15 while my character is level 40. I’d like to complete the side quests before the main quest, and I’m considering abandoning the collectibles (except the viewpoint - I find the back story on those pretty compelling).

The game warns you. Note there are two point of no returns, you can do the first and keep doing side quests after, it just changes the world state. The 2nd is the real endgame, but even after that it will drop you back in pre-final mission.

Also, the level recommendations don’t really mean much.

The final main quests take place at around level 20 or so.

If you just do all the quests in order of level, you’ll get pretty much everything done before completing the game.

some stuff I learned the hard way.

1. Check the monster manual to see what the weakness of each creature is. Like the birds are weak to fire.

2. When using elemental damage, keep firing until the circular meter fills up, then you’ll see the animal thrash around and take the intended damage. Fire too few elemental arrows or sling shots and it’s not worth it.

3. The Shadow Ropecaster has been my best friend for big game.

4. Shadow Sharpshooter plus max Tear buffs plus Tear arrows aimed at highlighted components and the beasts drop all of their weapons and goodies. Do that to a Ravager or Thunder Jaw and they’ll drop their projectile weapons that you can use against them and make short work of them.

5. Tinkerer skill is a MUST.

I stopped using the tripcaster since I left the 1st zone. and I don’t use the shotgun type weapon. I do use the shadow sling shots especially with explosive shells.

I’ve never once used the kill from below or above but needed them to get Leader Strike.

I’m only level 43 (max 50) and have a little of the main story left and all of the hunting quests. Like most of you, I couldn’t be arsed to deal with them…yet?

EDIT: oh and I’m going through wire, blaze, and echoshells like crazy. I have about 25K shards in the bank so it’s not a big deal to stock up when I go back to town for a break from the wild.