Horizon Zero Dawn - Postapocalyptic cavewoman vs Zoids

Anyone know why the frame rate and look of this gif is way better than what I have in my game? Is this some kind of post-processing in a video editor? Or is this what HDR does? Or PS4 Pro increase frame rates?

HDR just affects the look of lighting and you wouldn’t notice it without an HDR capable display.

HDR =High Dynamic Range

Last night I managed to find time to play for a couple of hours. I was having a pretty intense cat and mouse fight with a Stalker. Lost track of where it was, so I started layout out some traps and trips to lead it in to, not realizing that while I may have lost track of the Stalker, it hadn’t lost track of me. Heard the whirling metallic sound that always means “uh oh” and instinctually rolled to the side just in time for the Stalker to sail right through where I was a second ago. To my left I hear a gasp followed by a “oh shit…”. I sprint to the other side of my traps and start plinking at the Stalker, which obliges me and walks right in to an explosive trap and an electric tripwire, stunning it. A few stabs at the immobile Stalker and it’s dead.

Finally able to take a breath, I look to my left and my wife is standing next to the couch, watching intently. “That looked intense… is it always like that?” I tell her that it’s been ramping up the intensity and that I was on my way to my first Cauldron next, which sounded like it was going to be interesting. She ended up sitting next to me on the couch and watched my entire trip to and run through the Cauldron. She has never done anything like that with a game before; just sat and happily watched for a long period of time. She got totally engrossed in it, like she was watching an action movie.

That’s how it runs for me on the Pro, but I thought except being in 4K there wasn’t supposed to be much of a difference between the two. So I’m not sure.

There’s some amount of zoom in when you activate the slow mo/concentration mode and a skill that activates it when you jump. So I assume that’s what you are noticing.

Patch 1.10, amongst fixing a lot of smaller issues, is also adding the ability to hold X to buy multiple items at once.

Sounds like it’s out now.

Whoever is responsible for the world design needs more beers than I can afford to buy them. It’s actually insane how amazing it always looks and at the same time how you get no feeling at all that it’s constructed. The flow of the land is so natural it’s unreal.

I’d also point out that even when next to areas where the map cuts off, it also seems very logical and less artificial than any other game I can think of. Not to mention that scurrying around the edges of things is really not just doable, but again makes sense. There’s always little ledges and paths and things where if you think you can get there you actually can.

I’m still having a hard time wrapping my brain around how they managed to do so many things so amazingly well here.

I think the expansion is going to expand the East side of the map. I explored as many islands over there as I could and some of them say “go back” and others don’t, while you can still see more islands/land in the distance.

Stealth + Corruption Arrows (and mods for each) means being able to play “let’s you and him fight” whenever you want…

I don’t think I’ve seen that area yet.

I’ve pondered getting a ps4 pro before, and this might just push me over. Especially since I can get a damn good trade in value for my launch box and end up with more power and a much larger hard drive.

Regardless though, this has been a magnificent experience and really caught me off guard by how incredibly well made it all is.

Five weapon slots would be perfect for me, I’m consistently trading one bow for one caster.

Maybe I’m imagining things, but the latest update seems to make loading time and fast travel much quicker.

Maybe it’s in my head, but I felt like it was loading up locations faster also. Like fast traveling halfway across the map still takes a bit, but shorter jumps seemed much faster.

Finished it last night.

• 59 hrs, Hit max level about 3 missions back. Unlocked all skills.
  • Power armor is a bit OP and makes that last mission a bit on the easy side.
  • Everything completed except collectibles.
  • Just a great last level and ending. So satisfying. I really like where they are taking this IP with what they hinted in the post credit ending.
  • Listening to the soundtrack at work. It’s quite good.
  • Once I had bought all the weapons and armor and crafted everything I went on a purge of resources. I sold all the hearts, lenses, etc that I had horded since there wasn’t too much need for them anymore. Besides, I could always buy them back at the merchant. I basically kept all the mats used for consumables (ammo, potions, traps, etc) crafting. That really helped with inventory management.

More! Want more now!!! I guess I’ll go back and 100% this thing. Last game I did that for was Shadow of Mordor and as much as I loved that game, this game is better in every way.

Ya, my only complaint was that I felt kind of sad when it was over. But after like 70 hours, I can’t really complain it was too short.

Wow kindred spirits! Same here concerning Shadow of Mordor. Actually I just picked Mordor up on PS4 and am playing through it there (played PC the first time). The game is still excellent but I wish it had controls similar to Horizon. Horizon just felt great with the controller while Mordor feels like it’s actively fighting you at times.

It really was something. Even a few weeks after finishing, I kind of miss it. I will buy whatever sequel or DLC that show up even though I finished the story. I’ve never done that for a game.

How do you folks feel about H:ZD vs. say Mad Max? I didn’t get far in Mad Max but have been meaning to get back. I am smitten by H:ZD.

I really like the first few hours of Mad Max but lost interest after that. It just didn’t have enough variety in the the things to do and the combat was only okay. Horizon is in an entirely different league than Mad Max.

Ah, maybe it was good that I never got back to it then. Too many games, way too little time.

So for someone who liked but couldn’t quite love Horizon, would you recommend Mad Max? And how would people compare Horizon Zero Dawn to Far Cry Primal?