Horizon Zero Dawn - Postapocalyptic cavewoman vs Zoids

Does anyone know if the visuals in this game are of striking beauty of excellence?

I believe they are more along the lines of a “visually stunning”.

Well why not, let’s derail a bit. Honestly, I think it would be a shorter list to tell you what I liked - mo cap and voice work work were solid, the hover board thing was kind of fun, and I don’t recall any serious bugs. That’s about it.

I did not like its restrictively linear nature, one level followed by the next. I did not like the relationship of the main characters and the nature of the enslavement of one of them. I did not like the lack of variety in the enemies and combat. I didn’t like the meaningless little glory ball collectibles, useful only as currency for buying combat moves. And I totally hated the ending, with FMV giant Serkis head monotonously monologuing into the camera. Yeah, that about covers it.

Well you brought it up:). But okay I can see why you didn’t like it. I think it’s safe to say that Horizon will probably be nothing like Enslaved though at least with regards to the things you didn’t like.

Oh no, I don’t think the games are anything alike except they both have tons of giant robots to fight. It’s just the first game I think of when I see videos about Horizon. I really do want to read impressions of the game.

Ah sure I can see that. Well I definitely plan on getting some good playing time next week so I’ll be posting what I think good or bad.

I remember when this was first announced mentally filing it away as ‘one the girlfriend might play’. But a few months later when I was trying to find news about it, I just couldn’t remember what it was called. Seriously, Horizon Zero Dawn is the best they could come up with? It just sounds like some 4 dollar tactical ‘spec ops’ unity crud that lurks in the darkness of the steam abyss.

Glad the reviews are mostly positive, though. Birthday gift taken care of wehey!

I’m super excited for this game to come out. I’ve been intrigued since day one, so I’m very happy reviewers seem to love it.

This looks interesting. I might have to get it.

What frame rate is this going to run at on a baseline PS4, anyone know? My PS4 has mostly been collecting dust, because 30 FPS is really, really hard on my eyes. I’m in the mood for this sort of game, though.

30fps on PS4 and the Pro.

Day one “performance mode” patch for the Pro. Unclear what that will do. Hopefully 60fps.

I’m interested, but worried OG PS4 will be the “meh” edition.

Crap, I think I’ll have to sit this one out as well then. Thanks, Gordon!

Apparently the game looks really good on both the OG and the Pro according to Digital Foundry. Both 30fps, but with the Pro doing the checkerboarding thing to get 4K.

If they do that I’m happily tossing out my original PS4 and being free from Sony/MS.

This game wasn’t even on my radar because Guerilla Games has produced such underwhelming content before this. The good reviews got me interested and I decided to pre-order. Then @Mike_Cathcart told me The Witcher 3 quest designer was part of the team and I looked that up and discovered a guy who worked on Fallout New Vegas is a scriptwriter too.

https://www.redbull.com/au-en/taking-in-the-scenery-with-horizon-zero-dawn

Old article, but that confirmed the people. So Guerilla seemingly hired some good folks to help make this game and the results apparently are coming through. Looking forward to playing it now.

I really want this. Got the PS4. If only I had the spare cash to buy it or the time to play it!

I didn’t know they hired the quest designer. Some of the reviews mention The Witcher 3 style sidequests that avoid boring fetch quest crap by disguising everything with a storyline and unique content. Hopefully AAA devs are getting the message, at least the ones that aren’t hopelessly corporate.

I don’t see the problem - for decades we PC gamers could upgrade our hardware to get more performance and graphical fidelity out of our games, but now console gamers can do it within the same generation. And for cheaper - upgrading my video card rarely costs as low as $399 for example (or $330, which is what I paid for my PS4 Pro).

And while I doubt we’ll get 60fps out of the day one patch, if we do it’s because Horizon is the first game that designed with the Pro being a real thing the devs could plan for, and because it’s only on one platform (PS4) so it can be really engineered for performance, which is interesting, I think.

I have played some games (such as The Last of Us) on my Pro that I played on my PS4 and it’s pretty nice to get better frames with it, and given the cost it’s a decent performance boost, though I don’t feel strongly that a PS4 user needs to spend the money to upgrade. Every review I’ve skimmed has made it a point to say the PS4 version of Horizon is amazing looking all on its own.

Agreed. I would have a problem if my PS4 was happily running 60 FPS on everything, but suddenly all the new titles ran like crap at 30 FPS once the new one was out. Because to me, that’s pretty much unplayable. Okay, technically playable, but it’s very much an unpleasant experience for me.

However, my PS4 still plays at the same low resolution and crap framerates as it did when I first got it, so it’s not really an issue. Sure, it sucks that I have a $400 paperweight, but the new PS4 didn’t do that. I just wish I had a new one. :)