Horizon Zero Dawn violates the Hippocratic Oath of game design

If you think that, you have a thing or two to learn about big budget entertainment and tropes. And I’ve written enough on the topic, so I’ll just have to accept your insult that my criticism is “weak”. I feel the same about your criticism of my criticism; it’s mind-boggling to me that someone would find controversial the easy criticism that Horizon is derivative on so many levels. But I guess I’ll take weak over insane.

Excellent point, Matt. But for an example where this actually works – because good writing – what about the Tomb Raider reboot? Lara’s progression from naive to moderately naive to hardened-enough-to-have-nowhere-to-go-in-the-godawful-sequel is what I suspect Guerilla thought they were doing with A/Eloy.

Boom.

[quote=“Nesrie, post:76, topic:129887”]
Perhaps Tom need to broaden his horizon with all the women out there who are fearless with bows and arrows… lots to choose from.[/quote]

Great link! I can’t tell if you’re using it to agree or disagree with me, but it makes my point just fine. In fact, looking at some of those, I’m not sure I appreciated how hoary the Action Heroine With Bow trope is.

-Tom