Horizon Zero Dawn violates the Hippocratic Oath of game design

So what you are really saying is that there are no weapons appropriate to teenage girls :)

Plate armor has no real weak spots and those weak spots would be covered in mail which a 40lb draw weight isn’t likely to get through. If I put my arms over my head they might manage to touch my flesh. Maybe.

There is a reason knights uses poleaxes to fight each other: nothing else short of grappling the dude to the ground and ramming in a rondel dagger or the like would work. Your best bet was to take a large blunt object and try to give them a concussion.

I mean… against armor? Not really. Against a dude in a shirt? A sword is going to work pretty well.

The lines have been drawn. I expect to see not just pictures but full video of you standing in a field in full plate armor with 200 teenage girls shooting arrows at you.

Mind you, anything less is not the scenario you presented.

[quote=“ShivaX, post:103, topic:129887, full:true”]
I mean… against armor? Not really. Against a dude in a shirt? A sword is going to work pretty well.[/quote]

But even better would be a lighter bow, since she wouldn’t have to close to hand to hand range with a generally stronger man also armed with a sword. And we are back to where we started :)

Well if you send me a few thousand dollars to get the armor, I’m game.

No but wait though, how many Enterprises would it take to blow up the Death Star?

[quote=“Grifman, post:105, topic:129887, full:true”]

I suppose, but we were talking combat and why women use bows. It’s because people think bows don’t take a lot of strength, when they opposite is true: bows take a shitload of strength compared to basically any other weapon. Short of something like a poleaxe I can’t think of any weapon that actually would take more strength to use. Maybe a truly massive great sword.

I thought longbowmen at Agincourt and/or Crecy took down mounted French knights? Because they were wearing just mail and there were lots of arrows, or because the horses got hit …?

I wonder how many teenage girls it would take to blow up the Death Star.

One, if it’s Rey.

I wonder how many Death Stars it takes to blow up Ray Stephens?

Most men don’t wear plate in battle, because they’re just regular schmucks who couldn’t afford it. And horses tended to not make it as often since they’re not as well armored as a man.

As far as Agincourt:

And mind you those are English warbows.

Nine. I googled it.

Also, the mud didn’t help.

We’ll see that’s why you use hippos, because they took that Hippo Oath to, uh, carry armored teenagers into battle. Look it’s all right there in your history books, do I have to spell it out for you?

At least until they turn on them and kill them. Because hippos are murder machines.

A small pittance I am sure, compared to the medical bill that will follow for heat exhaustion and if someone managed to penetrate your visor. I am afraid to ask where we’d get the two hundred girls from. Of course I could just pay them to kick you in the shin two hundred times, that would probably distburb anyone ;-).

who these cute guys?

Are there male main characters who use bows? There are certainly female characters who use guns (Lara Croft, Jill Valentine, Cate Archer, Bayonetta I guess) in addition to the bow ones, but I can’t think of a male character who uses them except maybe Garrett.

Far Cry Primal Guy? (just guessin’)

Also:

though that could be a woman.