Horror movies

Not only scary, but funny too!

Night of the Living Dead
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Leatherface–my personal hero

Anything with Meg Ryan in it. Terrifying.

Night of the Living Dead and The Omen are the only two that really seem frightening to me.Along with any Meg Ryan flick,natch.

Two recent viewings for me:

Dagon – a little cheesy, but not a bad story

Donnie Darko – not a horror, but the editing and direction done around the rabbit suit masterfully relayed creepiness

Old standards:

The Shining (original) – sure, you knew Jack would go off and murder everyone, but he plays such a good psycho.

Psycho (original) – no one plays “twitchy” like Anthony Perkins.

The Exorcist (director’s cut)
The Thing (original black-and-white version)
The Shining
In The Mouth of Madness
Halloween 1
Hellraiser 1 and 2
Warlock (more action-y than horror-y)
Poltergeist
Silence of the Lambs (not so much horror as suspense)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Vampires (kinda campy but I liked the non-romantic style vamps)
Interview with the Vampire (for the romantic style vamps)

My two favorite horror movies are Rosemary’s Baby and The Tenant, which are basically the same film with the latter being the Evil Dead 2 to the former’s Evil Dead. Polanski wearing a floral print dress and too much lipstick saying “I think I’m pregant” was the 70s art-house equivalent of “Groovy!”

I think Polanski’s Macbeth is way scarier than Rosemary’s Baby. Of course, he directed that right after Charles Manson eviscerated his pregnant wife, so who is surprised?

Let me also add that seeing the marquee of a movie with Ben Affleck above it is really starting to scare me.

In Kenneth Tynan’s diaries, he tells the following story about the filming of Macbeth (which he adapted with Polanski):

“Roman directing the murder of Lady Macduff’s little daughters. He explains that they must pretend to be dead - it’s a game - while he puts funny paint (i.e. blood) on their faces. He arranges the smaller girl sprawled in a cradle. As he sprinkles the blood, he says, ‘And what’s your name?’ ‘Sharon,’ she says.”

Well, I tend to like the cheesy, B or C grade horror movies. My all time faves would have to be Brain Damage or Frankenhooker.

But for non-cheese, I really liked The Ring at the theatre, but when we watched it at home, it just didn’t hold up. I don’t know if I would call the Mothman Prophecies horror, but it certainly was creepy.

Night of the Living Dead is one of the all time greats, of course.

There, my flu-addled derailed train of thought for all of my friends…

Carpenter’s early work is tremendous – Halloween, The Fog, The Thing, Assault on Precinct 13. Romero’s Dead Trilogy is required viewing.

What about Pitch Black?

Pitch Black was pretty good, though the best part of the movie was the first half hour. After that it turned a bit more conventional.

Other horror films that scared me:

Alien
The Wicker Man
The Birds
The Haunting (the Robert Wise version, not the crappy remake)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (the Don Siegel version)
Nosferatu
The Exorcist
The Blair Witch Project
The Lost Boys (more a horror satire than horror, but I liked it)
Ravenous (I found this film deeply disturbing–not the sort of thing I’d watch again, but it was unnerving)
The Others

Not really scary, but a good horror flick nonetheless:

Last House on the Left.

Event Horizon really freaked me out, not many movies do that.

Hopefully it freaked you out because it was a terrible movie?

It wasn’t entirely terrible. The first half to two-thirds of the film was fantastic, built up some great tension, and was genuinely frightening. Once they revealed what was going on, the film took a 180 degree turn towards Suck. I guess they just didn’t know how to end it in a satisfying way. Or perhaps they didn’t know what they were doing at all, and the stuff that was good in the first part of the film was just an accident. Either way.

I think it’s really scary. Ok, it’s not original, borrows heavily from other (greater) horror films (shining, hellraiser). But it’s very atmospheric, has buckets of gore and lots of BOO scenes. Highly recomended in my book.