Hot Fuzz Movie

The closest theater this is playing in is almost an hour away. I hope it makes a bunch of money this weekedn so it expands to more theaters.

Wait, this isn’t wide release? Wow. That’s a crying shame. Best comedy since Idiocracy, for sure.

Yeah, only one theater out of 3 within driving distance were showing it.

I have to say, awesome movie. I couldn’t stop laughing. All the references, and then stuff like kicking an old woman in the face. Brilliant.

Excellent movie. So many spoof movies go the route of Scary movie and its ilk these days, where they try to do a joke every few seconds, and most of the jokes fall flat. Here’s a spoof movie, like Shaun of the Dead, which just makes a movie in the genre its spoofing, and lets the funny stuff be funny without trying too hard. Brilliant.

Egad, I had no idea the cast was so bloody loaded.

Edward “The Equalizer” Woodward!

Cate Blanchett!

Peter Jackson!

Timothy Dalton! (Boy, he’s probably aged the worst of the 007s)

Beloq from Raiders of the Lost Ark!

And I loved the appearance of Martin “Arthur Dent” Freeman, Steve Coogan, and, of course, the awesome Bill Nighy.

TIME had an awesome review of the movie and caught so much stuff I missed. Like how they lifted entire lines from Shaun of the Dead like a great in-joke to fans, and they probably had other in-jokes from previous collaborations. The clerk at the convience station had the zombie-look to him, as if Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead occupy the same universe and time period. (Hence the urgent, “We need you back Nicholas” from the London cops).

That’s a pretty big stretch.

I think that was just the fact that Angel had been arresting rediculous numbers of criminals.

The entire point of it was that it was a homage to Shaun. And it’s a wicked fun thought.

-All of your points for not listing Paddy Considine. God will forgive them. He’ll forgive them and allow them into heaven. I can’t live with that.

Also, the idea that the reason they need him back is a zombie outbreak ranks somewhere around “Book and The Operative are the same person.”

Depends on where you see it I think.

I was at a screening in Dallas this weekend (traveling on business for the next two months). Theater was nearly empty and there were a few nervous giggles rather than big laughs.

I thought it was wonderful :-)

Diego

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

I love the way the film goes from dry Brit rural murder mystery to completely over the top parody of Hollywood cop blockbuster and it just seems so right.

The third act is so obscenely left field of what I was suspecting, yet so brilliant

Had you not seen the trailers? Did you really have no idea what was coming? I wish I could’ve seen it like that. The only thing more awesome than seeing that old woman kicked in the face would’ve been to have no idea it’s coming.

I hadn’t been paying attention to the movie’s hype or marketing at all, and really only knew Simon Pegg and Nick Frost were in it. I had absolutely no idea what it was or what was going to happen, so all the stuff in the third act was completely unexpected for me.

I did like it a lot, but it was too damn long for a comedy.

Just like to add to the love for this film. So many little touches of brilliance that I can’t wait to see it again and see what I missed first time around. The swear words on the fine’s box were pure gold.

It’s been years since I’ve seen Chinatown and I’ll happily admit to being a philistine if you’ll tell me what/where/when the reference was.

C.

I saw this Saturday night and, like Wholly Schmidt, the third act came entirely out of left field for me, but WOW. It was wonderful.

“I knocked him out and he fell in the freezer.”
“Did you say ‘Cool off?’”

“Forget it, Nick. It’s Sandford.”

And that one didn’t even really get a limited release.

This is one of the most brilliant comedies ever made.

I’m in the group that didn’t know what the last third of the movie was, and it was just genius.

Yarp and Narp have officially entered the shared vocabulary of my wife and I.

We saw this with a couple friends on Saturday. The theater was packed - we actually had to sit in the front section. The whole audience was really into it, and erupted into cheers and applause when it was over.