Hot Fuzz Movie

I in fact did not see any of the trailers and had no clue what was coming. All I knew about this movie was “cop movie made by the Shaun of the Dead guys”.

It was so awesome going into it like that. The third act had me rolling on the floor nonstop.

I especially loved at the end of the supermarket - when a few guys come around a corner and pelt the cops with vegetables. The cops respond with SHOTGUNS. Disproportionate violence ftw!

They really showed you that in the trailers? But it was such an awesome moment out of left field that had the whole audience cheering. Whoever makes your trailers should be smacked in the head repeatedly and never allowed to make a trailer or teaser ever again.

And thank you Rywill for shining the light on a philistine.

C.

I’m pretty sure Hot Fuzz is the reason why the cinema was invented.

Whitta and Pegg approve of this thread.

HOLY SHIT THAT’S SIMON PEGG

“You’ve got Pegg on you”

By the power of Greyskull, that is Simon Pegg!

You can tell it was shot in England by the grim looking velour panel and terrible curtains.

Actually that’s the San Francisco Hilton.

I think Gary uses those glasses to try to look extra intelligent.

It works!

Saw it this weekend. It was brilliant. Lots of good laugh-out-loud moments, but tons and tons of nice “chuckles,” especially if you’ve seen lots of cop movies. There are scores of references, sometimes in a line, sometimes in the editing and camerawork… it all comes together perfectly.

Comic genius. Action movies never seemed that quotable, but this film has made me reconsider over-the-top action/buddy cop movies. I’m going to be revisiting many of these films. It’s one thing to make a satirical homage, it’s another thing to lend credibility to the genre at the same time.

This movie is only playing at our local “arthouse” theater, where they usually play foreign films. So I dragged a friend to see this the other night. Right when I was buying my ticket, I mentioned it was a British comedy and he just about left right there. But by the last third, he was laughing as hard as everyone else. I only wish that I had seen more buddy cop movies, though I have seen Bad Boys II and finally have a reason to appreciate that time spent.

We saw this over the weekend, too. funny stuff and I don’t even watch many buddy-cop movies. Then last night I walked down to the local bar for a quick bite to eat, and they were playing “Point Break”- that movie is even more unintentionally funny now.

I believe my gf and I were the only people to get the Chinatown reference, too. :(

First the 360, then the Wii, then the PS3 and now Simon Pegg… How much did buying him set you back, Gary? It must be nice to have all that fancy screenwriter money!

I’ll echo the fantastic thoughts here. I was hoping for good, was blown away with how damn awesome it was. I can’t wait to see it again.

Went in with no idea about the third act, and I found the movie to be exhiliratingly funny. I laughed way more than I ever believed I would (I was only a lukewarm fan of “Shaun”, appreciating that film’s concept more than execution.)

One thing–the loading up on guns that Nicholas does, the shootout in the town, and the schoolkids wearing uniforms of dark burgundy–terrible, terrible timing, that, and nothing to be done for it. I’d be lying if that didn’t go through my brain at the time. Thankfully, they handled the gun violence in a way that depicted both over-the-top yet gracefully understated mayhem. Knowing all that, hopefully when it comes out on DVD I’ll have forgotten about Blacksburg.

Best movie of the year. By far. I feel pretty confident in saying this in April.

Whitta, did you just randomly run into Simon Pegg, or was it more than that? Or was it more of a, “You’re from Britain? I’M FROM BRITAIN! HEY!” situation? I think that’s how Spacehog got together…

Also, Hot Fuzz = terrific.

More love for this movie. I went with a few (not big action movie fans) friends to see this last night, and they loved it. It was so well put together, and so lovingly crafted.

The thing that I really appreciated about both this and “Shaun of the Dead” is that they’re both fantastic parodies, but also stand on their own as solid movies.

Personally, I was rolling everytime he went to the evidence room and punched in “999” for the access code.

Fascist!