Hot Fuzz Movie

Hag!

Loved it. I couldn’t stop laughing at Aaron A Aaronson at the end. XD

Bonus points for not reuniting with his ex at the end.

Stupid comedies these days are normally so formulaic it makes me want to vomit. I love Edgar Wright & Simon Pegg and when you hit your knees tonight, ask God to love them too.

I liked it, even more than Shaun of the Dead, which I was naturally biased towards liking because of the subject matter…but think it’s overrated in this thread. I wish I’d waited to see it at home, with a couple beer at hand – not really worthwhile seeing in the theatre, but I feel that way about most comedies (always better with beer).

Yep, saw it Friday. Awesome. Pegg is going to be a great up and coming comedy actor, I think.

Gary, do you do the voice of Master Shake?

: )

I saw this yesterday and I have to say that I had so much fun at a movie in a long time. I was grinning like an idiot for the entire last act. I’ll probably go see it again this week just to see how much I missed. Pure awesomeness. My only problem with it is the very few moments of excessive gore: the beheadings, the reporter’s death, the garden shears. It’s out of place for an “action” movie.

I’ll agree with the best reading of “Yeah, motherfucker!”

“Have you ever fired your gun up in the air and gone, ‘Aaahhh’?”

I thought it was simultaneously awesome and a bit too long at the same time. A comedy with a running time of two hours is stretching it a bit. It’s the exact same problem I had with 40 Year Old Virgin. It’s not like it had some massive epic plot or something.

But regardless, this is a 1st day DVD purchase for me, and it had me wanting to watch Shaun of the Dead (and SPACED!) again.

Pretty sure that was all part of the “Cozy” parody: the whole “murder in the genteel English countryside” vibe the first 2/3 of the film goes for. In retrospect, it’s surprising how quietly and cleanly murder victims expire in your average Agatha Christie story, isn’t it?

watched this movie today and LOVED IT!!! I’m a HUGE fan of Shaun of the Dead and think this new (to the states anyways) British comic duo is PURE GOLD!!! The comedy is hilarious and a PERFECT blend of intellectual, slapstick, and dick/fart jokes. I anxiously look forward to more movies by these two.

This movie was great. The old lady getting kung-fu to the face sealed the deal. “If you don’t like Hot Fuzz, fuck you”

AAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

Only movie to ever make me smile thinking about Point Break ;)

Finally saw this, and holy shit is it awesome. Best movie of the year. There are so many awesome parts that it’s impossible to name them all. Goddamn this movie was fucking great.

Picked up the DVD special edition 2 disk set over the weekend, more features than you can shake a stick at but I’ve not managed to get through them yet to see if the promised commentary by RL west country village coppers made onto the disk.

Definitely worth a second look, hadn’t realised when I first watched it that the Pub Owner’s wife is the landlady from Spaced.

Just ordered it from Amazon.co.uk.
I don’t get why this didn’t get released here. And count me with the loved ‘Shaun’ crowd.

Maybe I expected too much from it, but I didn’t think it was that great. I’ll admit, I think I missed a lot of the film reference laughs. But people were commenting in here about how they were laughing during the action scene - I didn’t break a smile at all.

What I did love were the things like the police calling the next man up, and then them suddenly appearing. And I nearly did a spit-take at the end.
“You don’t mind a bit of manpower, do ya Doris?”
“Oh, cheeky bastard!”
“He-DONK!”
Laughs all around
“You cheeky fucker!”

I still enjoyed it, it just doesn’t occupy a big ranked standing in my dynamic, mental top movie list. Maybe I’ll have to watch it with some friends to see if I can get any contagious laughs.

BTW, I loved Shaun of the Dead despite not being a huge fan of zombie films, as so many QT3ers are.

Just ordered the DVD from Amazon here - shipping on 7/31. Ordered Shaun to complete my “collection”. 25 bucks for the lot

I’m pretty sure that means you have no soul.

Maybe. See, I laughed at the scene in Crank when drove the car through the mall…sideways…while talking on the phone.

Now, when Pegg kicked that old lady in the face, I didn’t laugh. If she had been offering him a cup ah tea at the time, I would have laughed. At that point in the movie, she wasn’t just an old lady, she was a crazy villian who deserved to die. A kick to the head is nothing.

Actually the VTech made it feel weird for me, but I still laughed. Dual wielding pistols on a bike? Come on, how is that not pure awesome? Watched again recently, and caught a lot more of the film references because I wasn’t constantly snort-laughing. The direction is pretty friggin amazing as well. :)

Man, I loved the movie. So funny - and so clever. Like MattKeil above, I had no idea what it would morph into, come the final act. I personally preferred the earlier part – when they juxtaposed the extremely melodramatic camera angles and cuts with the equally humdrum work – but I still thought the whole thing was great.

I particularly appreciated the almost-literal approach to the “gun on the mantelpiece”: every single thing from the first act, from the swan to the walkie-talkies (and of course, the old farmer with enough weapons to fight WW3), ended up being relevant later.

Exactly right I think.
A lot of (mainly British) detective programmes have showed us these quiet little villages that have a death rate that roughly equals Beirut in its heyday but somehow no-one ever dies horribly. Hot Fuzz presents a little village with a horrific death toll where people are actually murdered in stylized ways, again aping films like Seven and The Crow, where it is not enough to die, your death has to have some kind of significance or bizarre method.

Yep. Christie in particular has been criticised for making murder a genteel parlor game.