Hot Fuzz Movie

By the Power of Greyskull!

How anyone thinks Hot Fuzz isn’t funny I don’t know. Easily one of my favorite movies in recent years. Bought it the first day it came out on DVD.

I loved Hot Fuzz, but I’ve heard the same negative reaction from a number of my friends. I’m beginning to suspect that the advertising was the problem. Seems like a number of people were expecting more “Reno 911” comedy.

If you walk in expecting a more loose knit sketch comedy type thing, and get stuck with a more high concept narrative piece, I can see where you’d be displeased. The vast majority of the comedy pay off is in the last half. The beginning is a sustained setup for a REALLY long punchline.

I wish US distributors knew how to promote these movies more effectively.

Hot Fuzz is condensed fun. If you don’t like it, quit watching comedies forever.

Not all Americans understand British humor.

I found myself laughing throughout the movie.

As my father commented to my uncle after watching and enjoying Hot Fuzz, “It’s got that British humor.”

I love British Humor, I really do, haven’t laughed once. Shaun is infinitely better.

I’m an Irishman, raised in England and moved to Canada as an adult. ‘British humour’ is in my genes. I just don’t find Simon Pegg and Nick Frost mooning at the camera to be funny. I laughed a bit at Shaun of the Dead, but I thought Spaced was esoteric crap; so full of references to other movies and shows, it was like watching two drunks having a chat in bar: it’s more fun to be the drunks, than it is to watch the drunks. So, I went into Fuzz expecting a chuckle here and there, without much enthusiasm. I gave them half an hour and moved on. Maybe it’s just that Simon Pegg gets on my tits.

Well, I was just trying to point out that some Americans gather all British humor into one basket, like it’s a style unto itself, instead of usually, you know, just funny. I wasn’t saying that if you don’t enjoy Hot Fuzz it’s because you’re culturally unable to appreciate it or anything.

I will say now that if you don’t enjoy Hot Fuzz it’s because you’re a soulless toolbag.

We live in a country where Steve Guttenberg, Pauly Shore, and Adam Sandler have all had prolonged film careers. Meanwhile Steve Martin has been relegated to Cheaper by the Dozen Hell.

I would say Americans just don’t understand humor, period.

How anyone cannot at least get a chuckle out of “Simon Pegg, Badass Supercop” is beyond me.

Just watched it last night and while it was fantastic overall, I did feel it lost a great deal of momentum around the time he headed back to London. It was all downhill from there for me and there was no more uncertainty or suspense, and even the action felt too cliched. Also, I was disappointed to realize I had accurately predicted the outcome and many of the jokes. Very entertaining nevertheless and a great example of a well-crafted comedy action flick.

Dude, they were rolling around in their weelie chairs shouting

THIS IS SPARTA!

and waving money swords with +5 to shitty movie writing.

Hot Fuzz beat the elepants off of the other movies I’ve seen recently.

Which is a tactful way of saying that the last 30 minutes of the movie is a very long, tedious callback to every single joke they’ve set up over the past two hours. I felt like I was back in computer science class, watching them pop punchline after punchline off the top of the stack. I was reciting the lines along with the characters, and it was the first time I’d seen the movie – now he’s going to call her a “hag,” now he’s going to fire his gun and yell just like he’s always wanted, etc. etc.

But on the other hand, the funniest part of the movie (Timothy Dalton & the steeple) is at the end, so you can’t just skip it.

I didn’t hate it, but I think it was way over-hyped, and I didn’t enjoy it as much as Shaun of the Dead.

Just watched it. It was good fun, but Shaun is better IMO.
Fridge magnate - best joke of the movie to me.

Yeah, that’s pretty much the way I felt. It felt less genuinely inspired, and more by-the-numbers clever. I wouldn’t complain if every comedy was as good, but I wish I hadn’t seen it in the theatre and had waited until I could have watched it with a few beer.

I watched it again yesterday. Still thoroughly enjoyed it.

I loved every second of it, but still… Shaun had Zombies.

The movie was kinda ‘boring’, action wise, up until the beginning. The story was funny, though.

Yeah I hate it when the previews don’t have enough tits and explosions.

I find that a lot of films don’t really get going until they’ve started. It’s a major problem in my opinion and is the number one reason that I don’t watch films any more and is probably caused by The Suits.

Watched the HD DVD last night. Haven’t enjoyed a comedy so much in a long time. Freaking hilarious.

A couple of friends of ours apparently didn’t like it at all. Maybe you have to go in in the right mood. Or have not seen the trailer, as we did. (My impetus for renting this was “there was a long Qt3 topic on it.”)

Peas and rice, this was so much better than the silt that’s been passed off as comedy lately. Our movie the night before was the severely overrated “Knocked Up,” AKA “She’s Having a Baby II.” Yawn.