Hot Fuzz Movie

Did the same last night. Great stuff.

Timothy Dalton cursing in the outtakes was also fun.

Just got the DVD and checked out the commentary track. Heh, for some reason I always had assumed that Janine (his ex) was played by the same actress who played Pegg’s love interest in Shaun of the Dead. Cate Blanchett? No. (Despite the eyes.) Also, Peter Jackson cameo, eh?

-Julian

I haven’t read the whole thread, but was the excessive and, IMHO, unpleasantly over-the-top gore in the “drop the piece of the church on the reporter” scene a huge turn off for anyone else? I love my Dead Alive, but when the amazingly gruesome stuff happens in my otherwise normal movie, I get upset.

Otherwise normal? What movie were you watching?

Well, shit, I guess my point sorta fell apart there at the end.

Still…anyone?

Where you out taking a piss during the bloody double decapitation quite early in the movie?

I just bought this and the entire Spaced. Haven’t watched the series yet, but really liked the movie - not as laugh out loud funny as Shaun, though.
And it reminds me a wee bit of the Swedish movie Kops, which I’m sure Pegg and the other guy never saw (and they’re only slightly alike).

I’d heard about the gore up front, and made sure to prep my wife by mentioning there was over-the-top gore designed to parody movie deaths. That was enough to set our expectations and it we found the escalating goriness funny. If it had come as a suprise, though, without the context, it might have bothered us.

Wow. My wife and I watched Hot Fuzz first, and then rented Shaun. We were really disappointed by Shaun after the precedent of seeing Hot Fuzz first – we thought HF was much funnier.

Maybe Shawn is better if you’re a big Zombie movie fan.

This was our experience, too. We rented Hot Fuzz a couple of weeks ago and laughed hard all the way through. Then Shaun of the Dead this past weekend and, while we enjoyed it, we didn’t like it nearly as much as HF.

But, as you say, we are both more British crime drama fans than zombie nerds. So the absurdities of the quiet English town becoming a scene of large scale criminal mayhem hit our sweet spot.

Troy

I finally got to see this yesterday by ripping it to my PSP and watching it on a plane trip. I probably annoyed my seatmate by shaking with laughter every few minutes.

Absolutely brilliant, if a bit gratuitously gory. None of the two hour running time was wasted, and I’m usually opposed to comedies exceeding the 90 minute mark.

Arise thread!

We’re watching this for maybe the 20th time. I think it might be my new favorite movie. It’s just so perfect in so many ways.

I’m right there with you, Brian… er… figuratively. It really is one of the funniest movies I’ve ever seen.

I get the biggest challenge out of watching Simon Pegg movies (at least where he’s the lead) and trying to find all of the Spaced alums that show up in supporting roles.

Tony

Since the thread is up and around… This is a top 5 all time movie for me, and absolutely my favorite Edgar Wright movie.

I need to rewatch Spaced, it’s been to long and for some reason I never finished it.

The greater good.

Great article. I’m kinda sad I didn’t see it when it came out, but I’d like to feel I’ve made up for it in repeat viewings.

Ho. Lee. Shit. Ten years? Ten years!

Anyway. Man, I still remember the circumstances of my first viewing of this movie and, since I checked back in the thread and didn’t see it before, I’ll recount here! I heard on the radio that one of the U District movie theaters was giving out free passes to this if you just show up, so a good friend and myself went to stand in line. This was one of the touring shows they did that actually had Edgar Wright, Nick Frost and Simon Pegg there at the screening, and for these screenings they were showing not only their movie but also one of the influences on that movie. In this case, it was the old Steve McQueen film Bullitt. And after the movies they stuck around for some Q&A and mainly I remember everyone laughing at two big scenes: the telefax transmission scene in Bullitt, and Simon Pegg jump kicking the farmer lady with the shotgun in Hot Fuzz. Man, that was such a night.

Watching this movie for maybe the 30th time. Doesn’t get old.

We’ll have to listen to the commentary with the actual police officers soon.

Watching this movie for the 50th time. Doesn’t get old.

If they ever DO do a sequel, I want it to take place in London after they transfer Angel, so we can see just how “squiffy” it got.

PTS