Hot girl at work dilemma! Halp!

If you don’t get what’s wrong with the first post in this thread, I’m not sure what to say.

“You see, son, the funny thing about regret is, it’s better to regret something you have done, than to regret something you haven’t done. And by the way, if you see your mom this weekend? Be sure to tell her: SATAN, SATAN, SATAN!!!

Before a man-soldier retires his rifle into the gun cabinet of monogamy, he’s gotta fight on in the Great Pussy Wars until he knows he’s done his duty. Otherwise he’ll never be able to enjoy peacetime.

So does your friend know in his heart that he’s done fighting? Enough medals on his chest? No?

Then this young glory hound should look on the coming battle with gusto. Semper fi, Marine.

— Major General “Johnny Poontang” Many Jars, US Pussy Patrol

I guess I need you to say it. I’ve followed threads where people ask for advice on getting rid of rats, medical problems, and all kinds of personal sruff. DoomMunky asked for some dating advice. The difference, in your opinion, is?

Anyway, I’m happily married and have never dated anyone at work (not that I had the opportunity) but a long time ago I heard the old advice “Don’t shit where you eat”, which is a coarse way of saying “If things go poorly and feelings get hurt it’s going to be uncomfortable for everyone.”

Workplace drama is great for reality shows and sitcoms, but in practice I could see having to leave a job you like if the other party is really upset after a breakup.

It’s a movie theater.

She’s hot.

Why is there a fucking argument here.

Wallington, this is dating advice. Qt3 style dating advice.

The “It happened to a friend of mine!” caveat is, I believe, technically a legal defense for requesting advice on even the stupidest of actions so long as you stick to your story, you can’t actually be mocked for “your friend’s” situation.

Life is short. When you’re dying, there will be a lot more regrets about the things you didn’t do than the things you did.

Do it.

I’ve only once dated a colleague from work. That was very early on in my first job after university. I didn’t have to deal with the workplace awkwardness aftermath because we broke up after I left the company. But in retrospect, it was probably a bad idea. There was a high likelihood of promotion in the future which would have made me a team lead. Not her manager, but somebody who had supervisory authority over her if I were to be the team lead for our team. I’m sure HR would have not been pleased with such a situation. That would necessitate moving me to another team which the department management wouldn’t have been pleased with. Plus all the personal workplace awkwardness of still having to work together.

Does she want to do it on the car on the street…?

Do you own a garage? Do you have access to one?

Take her to Transformers 3 and see what she does…

Is that what this is? Dating and relationships? You must have read a different first post than I did.

Ummm, I must be totally missing the point. Is there some code or hidden meaning?

They have a fun rapport, enjoy each other’s company, but there are serious problems with starting relationships at work, right?!

Anyway, I was just curious. I guess it’s just typical forum faction infighting (like Game Of Thrones).

“Daddy, what does regret mean?”
"Well son, the funny thing about regret is,
It’s better to regret something you have done,
Than to regret something you haven’t done.
And by the way, if you see your mom this weekend,
Be sure and tell her, “SATAN, SATAN, SATAN!!!”

DoomMunky hit a couple of QT3 peeves at once. One, this board is semi-prudish (for the interwebs) and tends to come down on anyone who frankly discusses sex. Two, his cliched “my friend has a problem . . .” posting style always attracts a smackdown crowd. I agree the response is a bit disproportionate but he did hit the daily double.

If he would have thrown some egregiously bad grammar or spelling in as well he could have tried for the hat trick.

It’s a lame attempt at an attention whore thread, about his “friend” (which may or may not be him). Relationship threads are fine, when you’re not acting like a 12 year old. Go look for El Guapo’s hot tub thread for a slightly higher class version of the same thing.

Oww! You guuuuys…

I was actually talking about this with my buddy, and I suggested we go to the internets for the answer, 'cause we actually are dorks and don’t know intuitively what to do, other than for him to act on his integrity as much as he can. It’s resulted in some hilarious responses, and I’m fine being beat up a bit, but my intentions were pure, dammit! Hell, maybe I am an attention whore. I’m in theater for a reason…

I think you need to be a good friend, and conduct a thorough assessment of said hot girl at work. As you guys don’t work together, you won’t have that tricky work situation to deal with. You can take her out first, and make sure that she’s truly serious about the car.

This way you can be sure that she’s good enough for your friend. Because no one likes a liar.

It’s what a friend would do.

I don’t think we have enough information to say, and I’m not talking about needing a picture. ;-)

Rather, it really depends on the work situation. In general there is nothing wrong with dating someone at work who is a peer, i.e. someone at the same level. In fact, there are a lot of long-term relationships that start that way. But there can be consequences, as Timemaster Tim notes, to a career at said workplace.

But honestly, that kind of thinking is a bad way to go into things. You can worry about that stuff if/when the relationship starts getting serious. Nothing wrong with seeing where things go to start.

Post pics.

Integrity never got anyone laid.