House Approves Move to Outlaw Flag Burning

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=1&u=/ap/20050622/ap_on_go_co/flag_burning

A constitutional amendment to outlaw flag burning cleared the House Wednesday but faced an uphill battle in the Senate. An informal survey by The Associated Press suggested the measure doesn’t have enough Senate votes to pass.

The 286-130 outcome was never in doubt in the House, which had passed the measure or one like it five times in recent years. The amendment’s supporters expressed optimism that a Republican gain of four seats in last November’s election could produce the two-thirds approval needed in the Senate as well after four failed attempts since 1989.

But an AP survey Wednesday found 35 senators on record as opposing the amendment — one more than the number needed to defeat it if all 100 senators vote, barring a change in position.

It’s always good to know that the real important issues are being worked on.

If this amendment passes, I will squeeze myself into my dress blues head out to Duke Cunningham’s house (his new one not the old one) and burn a flag on his lawn.