Housework simulator

An article in the NY Times sums up why I hate The Sims:

There’s no winning and losing in the Sims. No points, no end. In the game, as in life, you just keep doing the dishes until you die.

Hell, I don’t mind the no winning or losing since I rarely finish games anyway, but there’s a reason that I have stacks of dirty dishes and glasses lying around my apartment. It’s because housework sucks.

I pretty much agree. I mean, I can get into process-oriented games (as opposed to goal-oriented games) if the process is entertaining enough. SimCity is a good example (although later versions of that game added some goals to the mix).

I thought the Sims was an interesting idea, and the process was interesting enough to hold my attention for about a week. After that, I put the game down and lost all interest in the franchise.

I liked the Sims well enough until I realized that my sim-child would always be a Sim-child. The half-assed career options just weren’t enough “goal” for me to continue playing. I would be interested if Sims aged and died and I could manage a family tree… but even then, with the Sims, the man behind the curtain is too plain.

That remark about the “man behind the curtain” really rings true for me. I was half interested in the Sims online until I learned that there would be little ability to make new stuff. I am an explorer (In Bartle Terms), and the idea of just people’s houses with them in it, doesn’t appeal to me that much.

I had basically hoped for a visual MUCK, complete with all the scripting options.

What I mean by “man behind the curtain” is that, for a while, games like Seaman, The Sims, and I presume, Animal Crossing, are unpredictable and believable. That’s a lot of fun. Then, slowly (or quickly in some cases) you begin to see the cracks. The tricks, the fakery, and then the emptyness. All the above games are much better if you’re able to bring a lot of belief, suspension of same, and imagination to the game. To spackle the cracks and holes, I mean. All games are like this, require this, but games like The Sims require it because there really isn’t anything else there.

I think I liked the Sims for a few months only because my wife was pregnant with our first. I sort of did a trial run of that experience in the Sims. Once the fake kid was fake born the game grew very empty for me.

I think you’re missing one of the big selling points of The Sims. I’ve watched my kids play and they have no interest in the career mode. The jobs are just for laughs. They round out the character. My kids use money cheats to buy anything and everything they want for their Sims. They love to play dollhouse, in other words, and fix up the house and dress up for the Sims. They focus on the relationships the Sims have with one another. Tim is in love with Jane, but Jane is in love with Melane, and Melanie isn’t in love with anyone. Tim tries to kill Jane but she won’t let him. Eventually she slaps him. Etc. They love that aspect of the game.

Tim is in love with Jane, but Jane is in love with Melane, and Melanie isn’t in love with anyone. Tim tries to [size=6]kill [/size]Jane but she won’t let him. Eventually she slaps him. Etc. They love that aspect of the game.

Jesus Mark, I think you met kiss. Otherwise, you should seek parenting guidance. :)

I totally agree though. My buddy’s daughter and friends are all about what bureau they’re going to put in their house, etc. etc. Its a cool dollhouse.

Yeah, that’s what I mean by bringing your imagination. The Sims is a toy and a toy is only as creative as the person playing with it. A lot of us, including myself, expect more of an experience from a computer game (goals, for example) because we’ve outgrown that kind of unstructured imaginative play.

The Sims is like playing action figures and Seaman is like talking to your goldfish (and imagining he’s insulting you), I don’t want to think to hard about Animal Crossing.

I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with this.

I don’t like dollhouses, housework*, or the Sims. Thankfully I don’t encounter any of them very often.

[size=2]*When one of the cats gets stuck to the kitchen floor, I know it’s time to mop![/size]

These are the same kids that think Lord of the Rings is nerdy, heh.

Your kids have less credibility than Joel Siegel, Asher!

The first (and only) time that I played because my two sims was a real slap in the face-- they had great jobs, infantry and snowboarding instructor, but while they were away at work all I got to do was chores. If it had let me role play their day at work (America’s Army/SSX) it might have been cool.

As a side note, I do like Sim City, and even Stronghold, which have similar, unstructured gameplay. But I guess it’s because they’re not focussed on such mundane tasks.

And as side note to that side note, I love the unstructured gameplay of GTA3. It’s just like The Sims, but instead of agonizing over the drapes it’s “Mac10 or Uzi? Do I want to steal a chopper or a crotch rocket?” And my mundane tasks are trying to jump my bike off the an I-beam on the 5 floor of a building under construction.

I played The Sims in the normal mode for about a week or two, but once I got hold of the money cheat and started downloading user created objects, I really had a blast. I find it fun just to create a neat house with a cool design.

I also liked Stronghold because it allows you to create a castle of your own design. The last time I remember being able to do that to any extent was in Castles II from the early nineties.

If somebody took the sims, made it true 3D, put it in medieval times in a castle that you could build yourself, I’d be in heaven.

I love the unstructured gameplay of GTA3

You and 6 million other gamers. No Japanese gamers, however, as the game was never picked up for distribution there.