How about a Darfur movie?

We finally got a Rwanda movie a year or two ago, and I have just read a (very good) screenplay for another one.

I propose that Hollywood should accelerate the atrocity-Oscar-movie schedule and get to work on a Darfur movie now. Who says you need to wait a decade to make a movie about a humanitarian calamity?

Maybe the problem is that the conflict is unresolved and nobody wants to make up a story or an ending for a story still unfolding. While a movie would certainly raise awareness, I’m not sure that the actors would want to make money on an ongoing humanitarian conflict. But then again, if they cared enough, they could do it for free.

I always thought it would be cool to have an animated movie or some animated advocacy pieces based on these children’s drawings:
http://hrw.org/photos/2005/darfur/drawings/

Is this like your new hobby? Suggesting more movie ideas with every likelihood of being handled idiotically by Hollywood?

Maybe the genocide could be averted by an intrepid gay action hero, uniting the threads.

We finally got a Rwanda movie a year or two ago

Is that the Rwanda movie that despite critical acclaim and Oscar nominations all round tanked totally at the box office?

From a hollywood perspective isn’t the problem likely to be that there hasn’t been a notable American (see Killing Fields, Black Hawk Down etc) to centre the film around and that given the experience of Hotel Rwanda, a major hollywood studio is unlikely to pump money into a film about a bunch of foreigners that no-one cared enough about in real life to help in the first place?

Maybe the problem is that the conflict is unresolved and nobody wants to make up a story or an ending for a story still unfolding.

So Rwanda is resolved? Yay! Did the good guys win?

Pretty much.

I thought Hotel Rwanda was quite good. Did’nt see it at the box office though.