How about a little MOBA in your Guild Wars?

Title How about a little MOBA in your Guild Wars?
Author Tom Chick
Posted in News
When February 18, 2015

One of the new features of the Heart of Thorns add-on for Guild Wars 2 is a new player vs. player mode called stronghold. ArenaNet recently revealed details about this mode and it turns out it's basically a five vs. five MOBA..

Read the full article

Hmmm... MOBA in my Guild Wars 2? Sounds interesting. I picked up GW2 and played around with it but got distracted by Reaper of Souls and DOTA2 patches. Maybe I should get back into this game and see what all the fuss is really about. What would you say is the best way to get in right now?

I have to take umbrage with your characterization of MOBAs as lacking fluidity. While the metagame is stricter in LoL, DOTA2 plays more like a fluid RTS given the wider viability of the hero pool combined with the variety of item choices for each hero. But we all have our own tastes, don't we?

Sounds pretty similar to the Guild vs Guild from GW1, just with 5 instead of 8 on each side, trebuchets and all!

Gross

Match length is definitely one of the reasons MOBAs haven't done it for me. I'm going to get my ass handed to me in most competitive game sessions. It's just how it goes unless you're willing to commit dozens of hours (if not many more) to mastery of a specific game and indeed a specific faction/build/character/etc, which I am not. But that's a heck of a lot more tolerable when it's over and done with in 10-15 minutes than if I have to dedicate 40+ minutes to comprehensively losing.

I tried a few rounds of GW2's PvP when the game first came out. It was okay, but I never felt the need to revisit it. This new mode sounds like it could be a lot more fun.

Correction:
"A round of League of Legends take[s] about twice as long as it should"