How bad-ass is THIS?

I wonder how many people would buy a Galactica 1980 boxed set, since it would contain only one good - or even tolerable - episode. Universal would be wise to release “The Return of Starbuck” as a single disc and burn the rest.

I remember being so psyched that Galactica 1980 was coming out, then scratching my head and wondering what happened after it did. That show as horrible.

Fucking hell they’re defiling my birthday with that new miniseries.

Again, why the hell do people buy licenses if they’re not going to really utilize them? BG needed an update, a continuation of the original story, not hackneyed dreck about killer cyborgs and sexual tension between the leads. Richard Hatch has the acting range of a tomato, but he had the right idea with updating the original series, using more or less the same characters with better scripts and production values. The core concepts and characterizations in BG were excellent. Given better scripts, it could have been a great pulp sci-fi adventure series.

I wish the creators of the new BG had some respect for the old show, as goofy as it often was. This seems really reminiscent of how Brannon Braga and Rick Berman took over Star Trek. They also thought that the original show was a joke, didn’t bother referencing characters or plots or even themes, insulted the old fans who cared about the show enough to keep it alive from 1969-1979, and as a result pissed off the core fanbase. Isn’t much of a surprise that the BG remake is being helmed by ST veteran Ron Moore, one of the main contributors to destroying that franchise.

That said, I’m looking forward to the end product in spite of myself and hope that the scripts rise above the T&A and other crap. It might be a completely different take on BG, but it might still be very good. And we need another new ongoing sci-fi/fantasy/horror series, with Buffy gone and Angel probably going into its last season. You’ve gotta wonder if the the mini-series is going to be successful enough to launch an ongoing series, though, as the producers have turned off the hardcore geek contingent that was 9-10 when the original show aired, and I don’t think anyone else really gives a damn about a show that ran for one season in the late 70s.

Historically I have not been very impressed with Sci-Fi miniseries. I find them far too tame and politically correct. Sci-Fi even edits the old TV shows they rerun, implying that somehow the standards of twenty or thirty years ago television were somehow less restrictive than what would be proper today. I never “got” that.

Having said that, “Children of Dune” seemed a bit better than most of their stuff. So maybe Sci-Fi is coming around. I also have hopes for this show, but I think it’s more because we seem to really be sucking wind on good sci-fi the past few years (I don’t count any of the “fantasy”-themed stuff here. Just the futuristic stuff.).