How big is your backlog in gaming hours?

Tangential to this topic, but are there any sites that show you “Here’s what to play next” based on quality, length of the game, etc. Sort of a ranked list of my backlog?

I absolutely have a book backlog now. In the past, whenever I bought a book, I bought it to read it, so I read it. And then I bought the next book and read that. It’s only in the last five years that I’ve suddenly acquired a lot of books and series for free or on sale that I mean to read, but I don’t have the time to actually read them. It’s similar with game backlogs. Just forget free books for a second. It’s kind of crazy to me, the idea of just having a book in a library just in case I might want to read it one day. But I guess I should adopt that viewpoint now, since that’s what’s happening, whether I like it or not.

Steam has a suggested play next list in the library.

At what point did this collection of books, this library if you will, feel like it became an obligation to you? Is it the quantity of books that determines this? The monetary value involved? Or the potential time spent reading them all?

With the advent of GAAS, I think our backlogs in gaming hours have reached infinity or close to it.

The moment I bought each one. Until 2011, I never bought a book and then subsequently didn’t read it. In 2011 when I got one, it felt like, oh yeah, I bought it, but I haven’t read it yet. I bought two books, both containing 2 “Books of the new Sun” by Gene Wolfe.

No, even that first unread book was weird. Why would I buy a book and then not read it?

At this point, since there’s so freaking many (and that post was in Nov 2018, it’s grown since then) that yeah, it’s the potential time spent reading them all would be astronomical.

Because you might be in the middle of another book, and wish to finish it. Because you know it’s a book that interests you and you will very likely want to read it, but not be able to at the moment for any number of reasons. Because you can get hold of cheap copy and figure you’ll probably get around to reading it. Because someone may have gifted you a book and you may or may not read it sometime down the road. Because you may have inherited a book or set of books from a deceased relative. Because you may think they might look good on your bookshelf. Because you want to impress people who come to visit with your large collection of books. Because you’re just a bibliophile. That’s just off the top of my head.

My backlog is literally centuries deep.

Someday! After I finish all my games!

Also in the haven’t finished watching (or reading) the Harry Potter series. Actually, it’s a good marker for remembering to not feel bad about not finishing something because it’s just part of an enormous infinite backlog…

I think the digital media definitely creates the enormous “backlog” feeling that I never really had with physical things, but now that I sit down and really think of it I have half a dozen boardgames I got but never played with other people, a couple books on a shelf somewhere I meant to read…but digitally it’s a whole different scale. My digital game backlog is enormous (3627 continuous hours in Steam alone, and I’ve got lots of freebies on other platforms), but I’ve definitely picked up tons of free books for Kindle, just like free games. I’ve got a much smaller collection of music but I also bought a couple enormous compilations of music (hundreds of recordings of old time jazz artists) that I know I’ll never have time to listen to. The subscription stuff makes for a different kind of backlog - MS GamePass gave a free month of Disney+ so suddenly I have a “backlog” of Disney films and TV I feel like I should go through to get my money’s worth, and after that there’s the GamePass games, Netflix and Amazon Prime “backlogs” that have weird priorities because of things I want to watch before the subscription expires or they leave the service…On the upside putting them all in the frame of my Steam backlog does make it easier to understand that (all the) backlogs are real and even more enormous than I imagined and I should make peace with it like I have with my Steam backlog…

Lol so he says… he’s probably looking at craters on Titan atm… but a sweeter guy I am not sure i know.

I’ve just got over a half a Kosc

Damn, I guess I am a small fry.

@LockerK is the winner in this thread.

He needs TSQL to keep track of his games.

I suspect the actual figure is waaaaaayyy smaller than that. I complete/move on from stuff pretty quick. I’ve only 23 games I’ve spent more than 100 hours on, and only one I’ve spent more than 500 on.

Would be neat if it also calculated “completion hours” using the same algorithm.

I only have 10,561, not too shabby.

I own 918 games on steam, and 1251 games in total across all platforms. Of which I finished 443.

But I do not intend to ever play vast majority of the other games, so my actual backlog is only about 25 games deep (which is still a lot). And even of those 25, there is a good chance I will drop some of them quickly instead of finishing them.

bcklg

It would take you…

5500 continuous hours

229 days,4 hours,7 minutes

of gameplay to complete your Steam library