How Cold is Cold?

Depends what I’m wearing.

Or not wearing. ;)

If it’s below zero degrees Centigrade, it’s not cold, it’s freezing. Duh!

Depends on context. 40F is cold if I’m not prepared for it (in my pajamas at home); it’s (too) warm if I’m snowboarding.

That chart was awesome, SlyFrog.

I put <30F because I’m a New Englander whose blood has been terminally thinned by nearly two decades in California. Though really I should have put <20F.

Forty is pretty cold, but thirty is when it starts getting to me, so that’s what I voted for. But if you’re talking about seriously bad cold, the kind that physically hurts you, I’d say that starts at around 10-15 F.

Thirty is when I’ll consider wearing a second layer of clothing, but it so rarely gets that low here that I went 40.

I was going to vote for the 10 celcius option, but I guess it depends on your definition of “cold”. It doesn’t really get cold here (UK) in the same degree that it does in Canada or Russia, but it’s a temperature point that I associate with just not enjoying being outside. Normally because it tends to be wet from then on.

I’ve been to a snowy cold place once (Andorra) and quite enjoyed being outside at temperatures that would have made me miserable as sin in the UK.

This poll is unclear. Those people that have selected anything below 4.4°C, remember, that jacket you are wearing is boosting your body temp up to a comfortable level. Try standing around naked in anything below ~0°C.

I voted “below 40” based on how I currently feel, but my tolerance for cold has changed since I moved out to Seattle from Montana 12 years ago.

I guess you’ve never skiied naked then.

I’ve skied in a t-shirt. Coldness to me is not a temperature, but a condition that is created by a mix of factors including temperature, humidity, wind speed, cloud cover, time of day, and physical exertion.

Good point! I always experience more discomfort (headaches, lethargy, etc.) when I’m trying to acclimate to temperatures and humidity that are significantly higher than I’m used to compared to when I’m acclimating to colder temperatures.

Similarly, if anyone actually thinks temperatures in the 70s are nice and comfortable, you just try jogging in them while wearing thermal underwear, thick woolen layers, and a parka.

I voted for 60, but I must admit in the winter when the house gets to 72, I turn on the heat to get it back up to 76…:)

From 0-40 requires somes sort of jacket but not much of one. Even in the country I know I’m going from heated building to heated building with out much pause so Artic Parkas and the like are just silly. Past zero I do actually consider what I’m wearing.

Past zero I do actually consider what I’m wearing.

Apparently, if you are skiing, clothing is optional. ;)

I put 15.5°C. (This is excluding windchill, etc.). At this point I’m a bit chilly and a jersey becomes necessary.

Not to pick nits or anything, but you needed to add numbers like 75 and 80 degrees. You may think that is a kind of nutty number to think cold, but I have a number of female co-workers that ‘are freezing’ at 75 degrees.

I’m from the South, so anything below 40 is “cold”. Anything below the teens is “crazy to be out in this” weather.

On the flip side, I’ve wandered around New Orleans in the middle of August and loved it. Hot does not bother me nearly so much as cold.

We really need to map the results of this poll geographically. Looks like there are plenty of SoCal people up there in the top range.