How could Sony tard pack the cheap PS3 and not mention it?

Did they think if they didn’t say anything, that no one would notice?

So much for the ten year plan.

More stuff about the 500 model, very disapointing. Wired controllers only, wtf?

Just when I thought I couldn’t be any less impressed with Sony’s plans they prove me wrong.

There’s some dispute over that story, I really hope it’s wrong.

Wired controllers, no ability to upgrade to wireless?

20 GB HD, no ability to upgrade to larger?

WTF?

Hang on. In an interview with Eurogamer, Harrison said Sony have no plans to release a hard-drive, as the PS3 is compatible with standard PC ATA drives. How would they stop you buying a new hard drive for the cheaper PS3?

Edit: The press release for the PS3 appears to invalidate the article. Here it is.

Just what in the hell do they mean by a dvd9 not being big enough? I’d ask them to name more than a handful of games that have even come close to filling one of those. With games like Oblivion coming on a standard sized dvd I have a real tough time buying into that notion.

Sony are planning on putting all localisations of a game on one disc. Presumably all the console does is choose the region to play- like the NeoGeo. PS3 is region-free, like the NeoGeo, as well. At least, I think the NeoGeo is like this; correct me if I am wrong, however.
It hopefully also means the US gets less awful box-art. Some of your boxes look atrocious.

Edit: The press release for the PS3 appears to invalidate the article. Here it is.

The controllers thing is wrong, the cheaper one does have bluetooth.

The Neo-Geo wasn’t region-free – you could have all the localized versions on the same cart, but the systems themselves were region-coded and that’s how it determined which version you got. Plenty of U.S. Neo-Geo owners modded their systems because a lot of games were censored for the U.S. home market and there was no way to get the original version unless the cart detected a Japanese or arcade (MVS) system.

20 GB HD, no ability to upgrade to larger?

You can upgrade with any 2.5"HD

The gamesradar article is wrong.

Sony needs to put some hard data out NOW.

But then, I think they still haven’t all agreed on just what the 2 systems will have at this point. MS may have undersupplied their 360 launch, but at least they knew what they were selling.

The press release seems to cover everything except the possibility of upgrading the HD. I certainly don’t buy the Games Radar article, seeing how it actually contradicts the “hard data” on the issue of wireless controller support and I’m not inclined to take the word of an unnamed floor representative so far as HD upgrading is concerned.

The press release seems to cover everything except the possibility of upgrading the HDD. I certainly don’t give much credence to the Games Radar article, seeing how it flatly contradicts the “hard data” on the issue of wireless controller support. And I’m not inclined to take the word of an unnamed floor representative so far as HDD upgrading is concerned, even if GR is quoting them accurately.

Like this?

The misinformation is mind blowing.

they put out the hard data after their conference, unless osmething has change since then, I posted a pic of and link to the pdf they released.

http://www.hdbeat.com/2006/05/08/the-500-playstation-3-is-missing-something/

Something like that, but I still have some unanswered questions.

1. What benefit will the WiFi have, is it limited to wireless net access, or will there be enhanced PSP connectivity with the PS3-60?

1A) What the hell happened to that location-free TV functionality with the PSP, anyway?

1. Can the absence of memory card readers on the machine be overcome with the use of a USB card reader? If so, will such a reader need drivers?

2. Is the non-HDMI A/V port the same as the one currently used on the PS2 & PS1?

3. Is the backward comatibility 99%+ ? I.e., is the PS3 a system replacement unlike the X360?

4. Will the PS3-20 ship with a wired or wireless controller? Supporting bluetooth is not the same as shipping with one.

1. There is PSP connectivity.

2. Unknown, but considering that the linux support includes running executables off memory cards I don’t see why not.

3. I don’t know.

4. Yes. Sony has guaranteed full BC of PS2 and PSX games, upscaled to HD.

5. AFAIK they have not mentioned anything about dropping the wireless controller from the tard pack. No 100% assurances though.