How did the Atari name get resurrected?

All of a sudden a couple of years ago games were being published by Atari again. Why?

Who owns this name and why did they bring it back? It certainly doesn’t inspire any confidence in me.

Infogrames owned the name and licenses from a purchase a few years back, and was using the name about two years ago actively to market properties. I suppose at the very least the games division would be better known by a more famous brand name, and maybe a name that doesn’t sound French :)

— Alan

Ultimately, Infogrames owns it, but since Infogrames has now changed its name to Atari, technically the Atari name is owned by Atari.

Infogrames picked it up when it acquired Hasbro Interactive, I think; it’s been used on some (but not all) of its games for about a year.

I suppose it adopted the name for its long history and easy recognition. Infogrames has a significant history of its own–particularly in Europe–but I suspect its name doesn’t say “games” in the US market. The Atari name does do that.

Peter

Yeah, Infogrames just changed its name, across the board, to Atari. In fact at E3, they even got little stickers on like the 2nd day to put on their badges where it says “Infogrames”, which I thought was kind of funny.

But… I like Infogrames! They did North & South, and had a rainbow-colored… animal of some kind as a logo. I want my Amiga back :(

Armadillo. For whatever reason.

I think I called them “Infogames” for the first few years before I noticed the “R”.

They started off as this obscure little game company, and look at them now: Atari!

With a name like InfoGrames (What the F*ck is a Grame anyway?), wouldn’t you change your name to Atari if you had the chance?

I wonder if they’re going to change their theme song now.

They’d better not.

They’d better not.[/quote]

Well it’s just that the old one doesn’t make sense anymore. I’d like to see a new theme song, but the least they can do is change it to “Atari Rocks My World.”

What the heck is an Atari?

What the heck is an Atari?[/quote]

The word atari refers to the position of pieces that are about to be captured in the board game Go, as well as an alternate version of that board game.

The word atari refers to the position of pieces that are about to be captured in the board game Go, as well as an alternate version of that board game.[/quote]

Look extarbags. I have 677 posts. Don’t I deserve a better explanation than the one you gave for all the hard work I do around here?

The word atari refers to the position of pieces that are about to be captured in the board game Go, as well as an alternate version of that board game.[/quote]

Look extarbags. I have 677 posts. Don’t I deserve a better explanation than the one you gave for all the hard work I do around here?[/quote]

Good point.

Interesting site.

All the amazing machinations that the Atari name went through are fascinating.

Thanks extarbags!

As far as I know, Infogrames was using the Atari brand for their top titles up until it changed its name formally.

Remember… Atari comes from the same place as doth Chuck E. Cheese. Furbie, its what’s for dinner…

Oh shit! I was calling them ‘Infogames’ right up to your post! In fact I was reading it in my head as ‘info’. whew Thanks Andew, if I had to introduce infogRames to anyone, like at a party of something, that could have been embarrassing.