How do I prevent Windows 10 from auto updating??

I have Windows 10 running on a Bootcamp partition on a 2016 MBP. I use it for one reason: Processing Arabic data with Python (because MacOS tries to helpfully “fix” ligature “spelling” errors and that screws up everything…). The Creator (?) update will not install successfully in Windows for some reason. Windows has tried 10+ times to install it and it always fails and then has to recover.

I have followed every guide I can find on Google for disabling updates in Windows, but no matter what I do, it ALWAYS just starts the update process WITHOUT ASKING ME during the middle of the night. A lot of the scripts I run take hours to complete and Windows is happy to destroy my work to attempt a failed update. It’s infuriating. I’ve repeated lost hours of processing work to this. Not to mention the update failures take a long time to get through.

Somebody… anybody… How on Earth can I hack, change, update, nuke, anything to stop this insidious updating?? It is infuriating!

(Data contains very sensitive PII and I do not have permission to push it to a cloud VM for processing.)

O&O Shutup10

https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

Note - I use it on a Bootcampled 2013 MBA running win8.1, but other than that, been using it since 10 launched on my home machine to suppress driver updates and telemetry that can’t otherwise be turned off. Can vouch for it’s disable updates flag and am pretty certain it sill has the @stusser seal of approval.

Awesome, thanks! I’m going to give that a try right now.

Enabling “Set as metered connection” on your Wi-Fi will also stop auto updates.

Re…ported?