How do you feel about advertising in games poll

Unless the Coke ad flies out of the screen and screws up my button configuration, I could not possibly care less.

The people who get pissy about in-game ads must really hate driving on the freeway with all those billboards. The skate stuff is ridiculous, but only because of the repetition and the sheer dullness of that Simpsons Game ad. I can understand streaming in realtime ads or whatever, but at least have more than just one screaming yellow rectangle clonestamped everywhere.

Me, I’m just sick of being bombarded by advertising all the goddamn time no matter where I’m at or what I’m doing. Good thing I have a cabin in the woods!

And my response that some single player games can talk to live without stopping your background downloads, but that will be lost to you because of your OMG PEOPLE WHO COMPLAIN ABOUT ADS ARE OBVIOUSLY UNINTELLIGENT AND OUT OF TOUCH IDIOTS AND LOOK THEY EVEN HAVE HANDLES THAT ARE ADS LOL.

I pay a flat fee. But I pay for my 20Mbps… you want 100kbps of it because I bought your product… sorry, no. I’m null routing your shit as soon as I can find it.

Do you turn off your television and radio to save electricity when commercials come on? And that’s not a flat fee.

Are we going to go this deep into it?

Fine. I pay for electricity, as well as bandwidth. As well as $60 for the game.

TV and Radio is just electricity.

Next up: ads interrupt your cell phone calls. I’m sure some of you will be just a little annoyed by that?

Well that’s just it, they should be punished by lost sales for being ridiculous, or it’ll just implicitly tell them to continue being ridiculous. Complaints like this aren’t an automatic “oh my god, no ads forever or I’ll set you on fire” vote.

What about games as advertising?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_622w_ttiU

:P

Fine with me.

Shut up and go buy some Lightspeed Briefs.

I go take a dump…
In fact I barely see any commercials… I’d cancel my cable service If they dared putting commercials in movies.
Free channels… OK, they gotta eat… isn’t like I’m paying them anything to watch.

Would you let someone put up a billboard in your property for free?

Would you pay the same price for a car that would get ads from the dealership plastered all over the body?

We have a saying for this whole situation… “Ademas de puta, pongo yo la cama”

I’m sorry, our demographics are too different for me to understand wtf you’re talking about. So shut up your damn self!

Sorry, no, I shouldn’t have bothered with the electricity comparison. Next thing you know, we’re trying to find the perfect real life metaphor for downloading mp3s illegally.

But I still think a bandwidth complaint is absurd. No one is being inconvenienced by a little bandwidth being siphoned off for an ad. Certainly not in a monetary sense, nor is anyone doing anything so serious with their bandwidth that they’re losing productivity on something. Or at least, no one who’s got time to sit around and play video games should be.

To make a case to me that you seriously value every last byte of bandwidth to that level, I’d like you to show me the research you do before buying every single game you’ve ever put in your 360 where you figure out exactly how much you can afford to play it based on how much bandwidth it will use, for ads or any other reason. Then I’d like to laugh at you.

Futurama! You shut up!

Wait a second here. Say you’re waiting for a file to download on your computer that you own on bandwidth that you pay for. Then, every 30 seconds, it pauses your download for 10 seconds to download an ad onto your PC.

You’re telling me that wouldn’t make you mad?

As I admitted in the response I just made before I read this, the electricity was a bad analogy. But it was in response specifically to the bandwidth complaint, in which case, you’re not “paying them anything to watch” either. Your bandwidth is not so precious.

Fine! Trogdor!!

“But I stil think the bandwidth complaint is absurd”
I was strictly responding to the “issue” that someone is using your bandwidth, not the file interruption complaint.

To recap on the points in this discussion so far:
•I don’t like repetition of the same ad.

•I don’t prioritize my background downloading as highly as you do because interruptions are par for the course with 360 games. I do acknowledge you have grounds for your complaint, but you give it a lot more weight than I think it deserves. Ultimately it’s subjective and my point was initially just to point out for anyone who doesn’t have a 360 that interruptions aren’t unique to EA games with ads.

•Complaining about bandwidth usage for the ads is absurd (unless you really do pay by consumption, which was what I asked when I first brought it up, but no one has indicated that’s the case).

Do you let random bums crash at your apartment? After all the rent is a flat fee.