How do you read PDF's

Indeed - thats not an issue for me, since I won’t really be using it for much other than that.

I have a samsung phone, and TV as well which is why I am satisfied with their products, so there is that!

Anyways - thanks all for the quick suggestions everyone! I’ll be sure to post what I think about the quality, and if @LeeAbe was correct in that I should have purchased an Ipad instead ;-)

Thankfully, the shop I purchased it at, has a 30 day money back guarentee, so if I don’t like it, I can just return it and get a full refund. Which is pretty nice.

No, there’s no ads. It’s definitely faster than Goodreader 3, which I used before Xodo. I switched because I didn’t want to pay for another version of GR.

They don’t charge for upgrades. I think the latest Goodreader is 5, I’m on it, and i never paid another dime after the initial purchase. FWIW. They appear to make most of their money on people paying for “pro”, which I assume is more about the PDF editing side of things that I have neither interest in nor use for.

Unfortunately, Goodreader 4 was a paid upgrade from v3.

Xodo is good for Android where Goodreader doesn’t exist but I do prefer GoodReader overall. I’m certainly not using the latest version, which I don’t even think runs on my iOS. I don’t know what I’m missing from the latest version, but for pure reading I can’t imagine a whole lot.

Oh. Hmm. I vaguely remember that, actually. They’ve never charged since, though.

Hope it does work out for you (and depending on requirements it may). But in general the Android tablet ecosystem is a dumpster fire.

I have to consume a lot of things in PDF format for work and I don’t think I really like any of the normal ways to use it. Kindle reader for sure if it’s a book, mostly for bookmarking and the like and having it more portable. I detest reading them on anything smaller than a large tablet screen (say, 9 or 10 inches.)

But a tip, be it in your web browser or Adobe reader on a PC:
Hold CTRL and move your mouse wheel forward or back. This changes the font/display as a mini-zoom that you can control very easily. Late in the day or night reading? Zoom in a bit more. Trying to browse through one for specific content? Zoom way out and get multiple pages displayed. Displaying something to your coworkers in a Teams meeting? Zoom in so they can actually read it.

The same holds true for reading anything on a browser. Unlike a book where we generally move the book backward or forward relative to our face to find our ideal reading point, we tend to sit the same distance from a screen and rarely think to modify the readability of text to our liking for any given time.

Now if there was just some way to modify this forum software under personal settings for the default width of the reading area …

Paging @stusser .

We already increased it, actually. The default is even slimmer. Slim columns are easier to read, the Discourse guys are correct about that, but it was too big a change from the old vBulletin forums.

No way to change content width on a per-user basis.

On my Windows 17" laptop I sometimes use the built in Firefox pdf reader, and it has options for 2-page viewing. Probably other viewers do too?

I bought a Lenovo Duet chromebook for just this purpose when it was released last Spring. I’ve been quite happy with it.

That sucks but makes sense that it wasn’t an option already. It helps on small platforms but seems like such a waste outside of that. :(

I appreciate that i have to spend $240 / yr to combine two PDF files in Windows.

Huh? What service are you signed up for that costs that?

Adobe Acrobat pro.

Basically during work I don’t have time to f around with finding some scuzzy free PDF combiner. Adobe offers free PDF combining online … like once. Second or third time it’s demands to sign in. Fourth time it just demands to get paid $20 a month. PDFs are just the deliverable format, time is money, whatever, here’s your PDF tax Adobe. Blue beam is $600 seat a year, but I don’t need Bluebeam annotation toolsets.

Macs can combine PDFs natively.

I use NAPS 2 for scanning to PDF. You can drop PDFs into it as sources and save it as a single PDF.

I use Abbyy Finereader myself, which has great PDF editing capabilities plus the ability to OCR which is key for me professionally. Anyone who’s ever tried to keyword search a long ass contract that is only available as an image PDF will know exactly what I mean.

It’s like a third the price of Acrobat Pro the last I looked.

I used to use PDFsam before having access to a work copy of acrobat pro (https://pdfsam.org/)

Nitro Pro is another cheap alternative if all you’re doing is basic PDF editing (like combining PDFs).

How Adobe stays in business I’ll never know. Their products are just pretty good, but massively overpriced.