How do you WASD?

But… But trigger is shooty! A lot of games use the bumper button for shoot because of this, I think.

How about Battlefield/Halo style accerate AND steer with the thumbstick? I will NEVER get used to that one.

Yeah, the first one did that too, which is kind of nuts. But they’re both such great games! You should give it another try.

This pisses me off.

Trigger keys: LEFT AIM, RIGHT SHOOT

So you’re one of those deviants who plays Kerbal with a controller.

I have never played a game that used bumpers to shoot by default. What are these games, that I may laugh at them?

lol ?

From the top of my head, I think GTA IV and V have you shoot with bumpers when you’re in a vehicle. That way you can use the tiggers for accelerate and brake. I like that system.

Also, a lot of PS3 shooters used that scheme, like the original Uncharted. But that’s because the PS3 controller sucked for shooting so much.

Yeah, mostly I’m thinking of games where you are in a vehicle that has trigger already as accelerate, so they use bumper to fire.

I think the Just Cause series does that too. And Saint’s Row.

Ok, I can’t get mad about that. Right trigger is for shooting, except when it’s for hitting the gas. Ought to be a law.

WTF, Blair! I bought Sins of a Solar Empire in 2008. Can I get a refund??? ;)

Sure, I don’t want your dirty middle-3 finger playing money ;)

Heh, back when I was a hardcore player and near the top of UT I’d use ESDF with weapon select bindings all around it. But it was such a hassle trying to rebind any other shooter I played and they also started adding specialty keys that weren’t easy to place so once I wasn’t near the top anymore I gave it up.

On fucking point, man.

Putting your pinky on A is like a stress position that a torturer would force you to take.

When I used WASD, I did what seems like standard, the 3 middle fingers. However, after too many hours with MMOs I started to develop carpal tunnel symptoms. Typing has never bothered me, but WASD caused problems. Since then I have had to abandon WASD and switch to a controller.

For years I used pinnacle to translate controller movements and buttons to keys. Thankfully now most games support a controller. So for those that ask why you would ever use a controller on a PC, this is why.

Middle three for me.

Putting your pinky on the ‘A’ is how the Germans know you’re a spy.

I used arrow keys for way longer than I should have, as a kid. I didn’t really understand that using ‘e’ for, like, open doors was designed around WASD, so I’d use the arrow keys, lift my whole hand to press e, and then move back. Same with using the numbers to switch weapons. I played through entire games that way, like, for years.

And even I, a clear moron, as evidenced above, know not to put my pinky on A.

I am left-hand-on-the-home-row,
and

SXAD.

S=forward
X=backward
A=strafe/turn left (depending on game)
D=strafe/turn right (depending on game)

Done this and remapped every game since…I think…System Shock? Ultima Underworld? If not, some game back then defaulted to this and I’ve stuck with it ever since.

W isn’t even part of the plan

I have tor try ESDF now. I am open to change. Not a lot of it, bit some minute amount.