How do you WASD?

Anyone that uses WASD is a noob, RFDG all the way, that wasted real estate to the left of WASD is horrible. I’ve been using RFDG since you had to load .wad files to play doom.

Pinky = Left shift
Ring finger = A
Middle Finger = W/S
Index = D
Thumb = Spacebar

This is how it has been, and how it will always be.

Though, this is the one true PC master race FPS gaming setup:

Standard WASD

Half-life was one of the first games with WASD controls as the default (Also Starsiege: Tribes). Quake 2 was still arrow keys. And crouch was Left Ctrl (by default) which needed to be accessible with the pinky.

I am sure people do it differently and that is their prerogative but it is non-standard.

Yeah, just shift the left hand to the right one key to type.

I believe I unconsciously picked WASD up this way for the very reason it mentions in the article; the right hand using arrow keys had the pointer on the left arrow, middle for up/down…

I just naturally translated this positioning to my left hand for WASD.

Still no X in your setups. I have to move backwards, I want my finger to have to move backwards. X and S with ring finger

This is what I’ve used for the last dozen years or so. God help me if it ever breaks, because there’s no good substitute for a lefty.

The only good thing about being a lefty- there are four keys marked with arrows, that is what you use.

Wow this thread and article was a big surprise. I use my pinky finger for A, my thumb for D, and my nose to hit W or S.

edit - more seriously, I do middle three fingers, with crouch on ctrl (pinkie), sprint on shift (also pinkie), and jump on space (thumb).

I’ll admit that ESDF is probably slightly better, but at this point I’m too old to change.

I usually lean to the side a bit and raise one asscheek into the air.

I don’t even know where those keys are on the keyboard!

Lol that for arrows thing is a nightmare. You have to push a linear set of keys to decide direction first then fire? Gah.

Do they have keyboard template configurations on PC like on consoles? Consoles often have preset controller mappings with names. “Bumper Jumper” from Titanfall comes to mind.

What in the…
Please tell me it wasn’t an arcade game.
… I am going to check it out right now actually.

Edit: just checked it, and it is one of the most frantic 8-bits action games I’ve seen.

I use WASD like most people , but my input device is wind powered. ;)

fr-18_d-bk_top_main

Likewise.
I use my pinky for absolutely nothing.
I Tab with my ring finger, also L Shift.

HJKL like any self-respecting vim user.

No, not really, but now I am seriously considering that the next time I play a game with WASD controls.

I just play with my index finger hovering over the keyboard and then I only push one key at a time.

For shits and giggles I just tried using my pinky for A and my entire hand started shaking in a “DO NOT WANT” fever convulsion. You A pinky-ers are horrible horrible people. If you are people at all. You are probably all velociraptors.

This is all strangely fascinating while at the same time a little weird. I’ve been a touch typist for decades and I used a bunch of different key configurations in gaming. I don’t seem to have too much trouble shifting around depending on how many commands need to be mapped to keys. However, since I’ve also had a split ergonomic keyboard for a very long time, I also rely on a bit more limited selection of keys and don’t bother with the 7-y-h-n and rightwards key-bindings (if they exist). My default is the standard pinky resting on Shift, and mainly because I like the better reach to Tab-Q granted by the ring-finger. It just feels more comfortable for my hand when gaming (not typing). It does mean that the 6-t-g-b keys are more difficult to reach, if needed.

Still, not surprised at the variety. Spice of life and all that.

I’ve been seeing a lot of you folks in this thread.
And I think therein lies your problem.

A proper hunt-n-pecker will always have an easier time adjusting to experimental positions.