How do you wash your dishes?

We have a very old dishwasher. It works, I’m not fucking with it until it dies. I do pre-rinse and scrape a few things that go in there, but I’ve learned what does and does not require that over time. Usually baked on stuff needs a pre-soak, everything else is good. I like to run the dishwasher often, but we also have a sink rack (two sinks) and a lot of quick items end up going there, like knives, pans/pots, etc.

That’s -my- chore in the household because I like to stay on top of it, usually. And what’s truly made my dishwasher better than it ever has been are two things: running Affresh dishwasher cleaner through our unit about every 3 months or so. We have hard water, it reaaaaaally helps. And also only using Cascade Platinum. I would gladly fight someone over the use of crappier dishwasher detergent. I get cleaner dishes and MUCH less spotting with it.

The amazing memory of JOHN MANY JARS recalls that once in a thread much like this one someone casually used the word “sterilize” and that one guy with ambiguous genitalia who used to post here just about shat himself in the ferocity of his attack, which then went on for pages. Truly there are only so many conversations to have over years and years, most of them about consumerism.

Anyway, I also jizz on my dishes to make sure the detergent has something to react to, but maybe one time in three the blast actually breaks the dish. Is there any such thing as a jizz shock absorber for dishes? Answer in 10,000 words or more, please.

Dishwasher every single time. YOLO. We ain’t got time to rinse, soak, and dry anything.

We, empty nest couple, recently installed a decent priced Meile dishwasher and so far it’s been extremely disappointing. Half the dishes often come out smelling like dead fish, sometime after sitting in the cupboard for a day or two.

I have no idea what’s going on. Our regular routine is starting it every 2-4 days, when its full. We’ve tried those sandy white blocks and those multicolored swirled pods. Same results.

Wife says just put dirty dishes into washer and it should work. Opening the door the next day or 2 releases a rotten terrible smell. I’ve tried full cleaning, partial rinse, no cleaning and often half the dishes stink after cycle is done or in a day in the cupboard. Wtf?? Utensils and dishes are always fine.

We have softened water. I often don’t bother putting anything in the stupid thing and just hand wash.

@z22 check that your drains are installed correctly. My Bosch smells bad about 12 hours after washing dishes and that is what Bosch recommends. Having said that we have checked our drains, they are installed correctly and I now hate my top of the line Bosch because nothing NOTHING has fixed it. But YMMV.

How often do you folks clean your dishwashers? Zero smell issues on the Kitchenaid we have.

I usually run a empty wash with 3 packs of kool aid lemonade once a month. 3 packs cost less than a buck.

31Tt-WcTJIL

We are. . . I’ll call it lazy, because it is, and are pretty bad about unloading the dishwasher when it finishes, so we often grab plates/bowls/cups/utensils from there throughout the day to eat with.

Dirty dishes initially arrive in right-hand quadrant of the sink for a light rinse to get off any substantial gunk but not a deep cleanse or anything. Like when gf uses a knife for peanut butter – I ain’t wait a huge wad of sticky pb attracting bugs for two or three days.

After the light rinse (usually done after each meal-cycle or at least twice a day), things are roughly stacked up into the left-hand sink in this semi-clean state. Plates bottom, bowls next, cups, mugs, and utensils scattered around.

By a couple of days, we’re running low on dishes, or I need to cook something that involves raw meat (and thus lots of sanitizing handwashing to be done, which I don’t wanna do over dishes for reasons to become clear momentarily). At which point I ask the gf to empty out the very last of the stuff in the dishwasher.

I load up all the dishwasher-able stuff – the heavy duty plates, plastic cups, coffee mugs, silverware, plastic cutting board if I used it (always cut meat on there, disinfect in the empty sink with spray cleaner, then rinse and into the dishwasher with it), tupperware, etc.

That leaves a sink full of handwashing stuff – pots and pans, good knives, fragile glasses I don’t want knockin’ around like wine glasses and cocktail stuff, that kinda thing. I wash all this by hand and toss it in the rack to dry. Handwashing for me is, sadly, running water, pick up each item, quick pass under the faucet to get it wet, scrub with a soapy sponge (Dawn gang represent), rinse immediately.

And it’s this stuff I get leery about being the sink for raw-meat-time. Like, a steel knife, I’m pretty sure I’m cleaning well. But I worry about a spatter of chicken gunk flying off onto a wine glass or one of my gf’s vacuum seal travel coffee mugs that I don’t generally wash super super vigorously. So, always try to get the sink totally empty before starting raw meat stuff (e.g., the aforementioned plastic cutting board wouldn’t go in before the sink-emptying-via-loading-dishwasher-and-handwashing-vulnerables cycle).

The dishwasher runs with the fancy high end platinum whatever whatever pods and does fine despite being ancient and noisy as all fuck. I kinda look forward to it dying so we can replace it with something that doesn’t take two hours and wake the dead in the process.

But, I do trust it to disinfect well and thoroughly with the right cycle setup. I still pre-treat that meat-y cutting board with Fantastik, though, hah.

Weird. We have no scent issues with our Bosch unless we haven’t cleaned the drain trap in months. Dodged that bullet!

And this works? Is it the lemon? Purplesaurus Rex and Great Bluedini won’t work?

I clean mine rarely, with a cleaning cake of the brand Accent or Accept or something like that. Same brand for the cake I use to clean my washer. But if I can use Kool-Aid I’m doing that instead just to say I do it.

I do it only if I see stains around the drain or something. I’ve never had smell problems, and my dishwasher is old and I’m sure it wasn’t high-end when new.

I’d call a plumber. If it was installed by a plumber, I’d call a different plumber.

Mine as well. It often sounds like Godzilla. I should record it.

Been using it for over 30 years, since my mother’s friend told her about it. We also use it in the clothes washing machine every few months, due to hard well water.

I believe it’s the citric acid that does the job. So you know I am not pulling your leg, I usually keep a decent supply on hand when I see sale. :)

Like I’ve said before, I use white vinegar. Ultimately the acid, either citric or acetic, is a cheaper replacement for sheeting agents. And they will both stop bad odors.

@Aleck I guess you did. There are dozens and dozens of posts online about the problem, all with various fixes that didn’t work for us. But i researched pretty well before we bought it and it came highly recommended. So not a problem for most I assume.

@RichVR I’m definitely going to try that. Thanks for the tip.

I’ll have to try that vinegar trick. Do you put it in the same “rinsing agent” reservoir?

BTW the dishwasher manufacturers with their stupid co-marketing agreements kind of have you over a barrel, don’t they? I decided I’d pick up some Cascade liquid dishwasher detergent on sale at Costco instead of the Finish brand stuff for the dishwasher, and I can’t seem to get the “dosage” right. Portland has very soft water, and I suspect I’ve been using too much detergent. Also get the smelly dishes problem sometimes. I’ve heard cleaning experts say that if that happens with towels, it means you’re using too much detergent in the wash (the detergent itself is food for bacteria), so I’m going to reduce the amount I use of the Cascade stuff.