How does Plex work (for dummies)

Thanks, @Gendal. Sounds like it’s at least worth installing to check it out. No transcoding is a feature worth switching for!

Really? Woah. That changes things. That’s only through Kodi through? Not Plex alone with PlexPass?

I guess I could pay for a month of PlexPass and find out for myself. On their website they do say that it doesn’t work with the original HD HomeRun, so it must be only through Kodi.

Any idiot guide out there on how to get that working?

Really lol? Cause I have the original HD HomeRun and uh it worked out of the box. Nothing to do with Kodi. Though you can play the recorded files on Kodi no problem.

You do need a plex pass though, it is a paid feature. But the setup couldn’t be easier, at least for the network based HD HomeRun.

Looking at their site it is in fact not supported, but it did work for me so YMMV.

Just logged on to make sure I wasn’t crazy and the first thing it said was it had lost connection with the HD HomeRun (HDHDHR-US). So I updated the firmware for it and updated plex and it started working again, no other changes on my part. Watching live tv now, works well. The whole discovery/interface thing is shite, but workable.

Well, I’ve tried out the Plex DVR. It’s not great, I’m afraid. The “no transcoding” promise doesn’t hold up (at least on my Fire TV) and the functionality is extremely limited. You can’t even set a manual recording by time and channel.

Kodi and MythTV are a much better option for now. Maybe in another year or two, Plex will catch up.

My own experience with Plex DVR has been somewhat perplexing so far.

When I told it to record all new episodes of the Winter Olympics, it seemed to be right on the ball. You can click on Recording Schedule and see what it plans to record. There it is, 3 programs a day from NBC, and it will ignore the nightly repeat of the prime time Olympic coverage. Good.

But then in practice, it would record the first program, from 2pm to 5pm, and then not record the prime time coverage and the nightly program from 10:30 to 1am. It’s like it thinks, oh ok, I already recorded Olympics for today, I’m done.

Anyway, today, I changed it to record all olympic coverage, not just new programs. So now it’s scheduled to record all 4 programs every day, including the repeat of the prime time broadcast. Let’s see if that works.

The guide data is almost certainly at fault there. Happens a lot with live events.

It won’t, it’s a bug. You need to update to the latest plex pass version, which did fix the issue for me. I missed all our favorite events with the snowboarding thanks to this shit.

Yeah, it definitely hasn’t been working.

It has been recording the 2-4pm broadcast every day though, so I did get to see those. And usually I get home in time to see most of the prime time broadcast, so even though Plex refuses to record that, I’ve seen most of it.

My Plex server check says everything is up to date. Is there a separate section somewhere for Plex pass? How do I get to it?

https://support.plex.tv/articles/201844613-early-access-beta-releases/

It’s weird they way they do these updates - I run it in a docker container so I had to flip a switch on the interface that auto downloads the newest version. I think you can do a manual download but that wouldn’t work for me and would have been harder anyways.

Dammit Plex. So the ability that has been working for me of any friend being able to watch live TV is a “bug” and they are removing it so only in-home users can.

Thanks. That worked. It recorded the remaining prime time broadcast last night after I got the beta release, and the late night broadcast.

Hey all, has anyone noticed how Plex Media Server in the last couple of months (at some point) seems to have stopped generating thumbnails for videos? It’s rather annoying. I’ve got the relevant setting ticked for the libraries in question and sometimes plex transcoder is working my CPU furiously even if I’m not watching a video, but still, no new thumbnails.

Make sure library updating is set as a daily task

Is that under the settings for the individual library?

Is Plex mainly used for streaming, or for personal media archives?

It’s for both.

And it’s in server settings

Thanks, I’ll see if it’s not set that way. I certainly don’t remember ever changing it, and there were always thumbnails before.

It can do both. I used to use it a lot for streaming, because it had a great Comedy Central channel that automatically got around the region-locking, but it seems to be broken these days, presumably because CC puts almost everything behind the cable log-in wall. So these days it’s mainly for my DVD backups.

If you have GiantBomb Premium, it’s a pretty good way to access that content too.

hit the wrench in the upper-right of the plex media server web browser ui
click server
click library from the left

there’s where you change how often it updates the thumbnails.